Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 01:47 AM

Re: Alternative Therapies

Here ya go http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth/

Broth is very high in the amino acids proline and glycine which are vital for healthy connective tissue (ligaments, joints, around organs, etc).
“In addition, glycine is required for synthesis of DNA, RNA and many proteins in the body. As such, it plays extensive roles in digestive health, proper functioning of the nervous system and in wound healing. Glycine aids digestion by helping to regulate the synthesis and of bile salts and secretion of gastric acid. It is involved in detoxification and is required for production of glutathione, an important antioxidant. Glycine helps regulate blood sugar levels by controlling gluconeogenesis (the manufacture of glucose from proteins in the liver). Glycine also enhances muscle repair/growth by increasing levels of creatine and regulating Human Growth Hormone secretion from the pituitary gland. This wonderful amino acid is also critical for healthy functioning of the central nervous system. In the brain, it inhibits excitatory neurotransmitters, thus producing a calming effect. Glycine is also converted into the neurotransmitter serine, which promotes mental alertness, improves memory, boosts mood, and reduces stress.

Proline has an additional role in reversing atherosclerotic deposits. It enables the blood vessel walls to release cholesterol buildups into your blood stream, decreasing the size of potential blockages in your heart and the surrounding blood vessels. Proline also helps your body break down proteins for use in creating new, healthy muscle cells.”
Here is an alternative method (I haven't tried this mind) http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/...am-hock-broth/
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 01:51 AM

I can say I've never had bone broth, if I cook a chicken I only use the meat, not the carcass, it just doesn't appeal to me
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 01:54 AM

You just use the carcass to make the broth - you don't eat any of the bone.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 01:58 AM

if I tried to eat bone I could lose my teeth!

cooking an animal carcass really doesn't get my juices flowing, give me chips and egg any day!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 02:01 AM

You can use it as a base for stews etc., makes it tastier!
If we're gonna talk chips, give me some lovely battered fish please!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

26-09-2014, 02:10 AM

oh me too! can't beat some crispy cod or haddock!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I've been prescribed every painkiller on the market and nothing has worked but after my first session today I feel on top of the world! it's the first time in over 15 years I've been totally pain free!

Initially the needles were inserted followed by the use of a tens machine which I could control, I was fiddling with the dials when suddenly my leg shot up into the air! then came the heat lamp and cupping which felt strange, a little painful but worth it, lastly a wonderful deep massage with lovely fragrant oils total cost £30 for the session which lasted just under 2 hours.

When I stood up I felt light headed, I was given some bottled water and when I stepped outside I was astonished to find I had no pain at all!!
It was an unbelievable feeling, I did some shopping and when I got home I was really tired as though I'd been drugged so I went to bed, fell fast asleep for hours and awoke feeling wonderful!

I don't know how long I'll feel this way but to have just one pain free day has been great, I'll be going back after my mini holiday break for more sessions as I feel it's worth it.
I was told I'd initially benefit from weekly sessions for around 2 months then just the occasional top up, sounds worth it to me!
That's great news, Honey!
The feeling drugged is a good sign that the acupuncture has caused the release of your endogenous painkillers. I did some acupuncture training some time ago and we learned by needling each other. At the start of the first day we were all advised to beware if we were driving after the course as we may be affected by having had a number of needles over the course of the day. Driving home was ok, but I remember feeling stoned once I got home. I've never taken any recreational drugs, but I imagine it is a similar feeling.

Hope the pain relief lasts for you. Keep going, as the effect is usually cumulative and it looks like you are going to respond well!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 10:01 AM

I'm so interested in your story Honey. I think it's brilliant that it's worked for you.
I'm wondering if it might help my husband - he's in constant pain from his arthritic knee's.
I'm trying to persuade him to try it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 11:38 AM

Great news Honey, my niece had acupuncture when she was in labour said it was marvellous and no drugs needed.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
That's wonderful Honey!
I had it done years ago now for a back injury caused by a fall, and I felt great after too. No pain, and so relaxed.
As stated above, it didn't last long though. Not for me anyways.
But everybody's injury is different, so there will be different outcomes.
I hope it keeps working for you!

You've probably had bone broth, and didn't know it!
Here's a simple how-to:

http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth/
Sorry Jackie just noticed you posted the same link

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top