Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Re: National Stroke Day 28th Oct

My mum's the same Julie. She should take them, but can't because of stomach problems.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:39 AM

I would add it seems rare if ever a GP here will prescribe aspirin you are expected to buy them over the counter with no prescription. It's the same with many medications which are cheaper than a prescription fee and able to be bought off prescription. Would be madness to pay prescription fee for something costing pennies.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:44 AM

You can get the 75mg Asprin for 75p in some stores. I buy my own. Saying that I don't take them everyday. I just take one now and again when I feel my blood feeling strange. Probably a build up of toxins. My Brother was told to take one a day by his Doctor after having a by pass.
Unfortunately the strength of them was too much and after 12 years of taking them they attacked the back of his eyes and he is now blind.
So the dosage is very important.
Sorry to hear of others experience of a stroke in the family. It is not
a nice thing to have and hopefully a little aspirin now and again will keep
it at bay.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 04:57 PM

You should not take aspirin if you have certain health conditions....asprin can also react adversely with other medications.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Pharmacists are pretty good at working that out too.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 07:29 PM

Pharmacists are the next best thing to a gp. They work alongside gp's, so know what they're talking about. I wouldn't think twice about consulting one - especially as they sit at the desk next to mines in the ward . Well, you've got to have some perks
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->

Does anyone here take a soluble mini aspirin each day as a prevention cure? I've thought of it as there is stroke and heart disease in my family.
Over a number of years I had 4 members of my family each had Brain Aneurysms all passed within days. I got a little worried and ask my gp what to do. He said take half an aspirin everyday. That was about 10yrs ago. Then some years later I started to suffer badly with a form of dermatitis on my fingers that left them very sore and bleeding.
A friend mentioned why not try stopping the daily dose of aspirin after seeing my fingers wrapped up daily with plasters and various coloured electrical tape to stop the plasters getting wet. I did and within a few weeks my fingers were back to normal again. I can now do woodwork/gardening without gloves and my skin doesn't break anymore. So much relief after years of pain and I put it all down to aspirin. I have heard other stories since about aspirin I just wish I had never started taking them.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2014, 04:00 AM

A stroke has nothing to do with the heart. A stroke happens when the blood is halted in its tracks to get to the brain because of a blockage in the veins/arteries and can have a minor, or serious, effect.

I had a mini stroke - a TIA - Transient Ischaemic Attack - almost four years ago, and my heart is sound, although I do have a more than average high BP for which I'm being treated, but not because of the TIA.

A stroke is caused because of a blockage of blood to the brain and, if there is a bleed to the brain, then the condition can be very serious indeed. Luckily for me, I didn't have a bleed to the brain following a scan.

Nobody should take aspirin unless it's specifically prescribed by a doctor. A pharmacist is not a doctor and can only offer general advice on certain external conditions, but not internal, or biological.

I take medication now following my TIA, which I never had to take before, but if you have been diagnosed with a heart complaint, then only take medication prescribed by the doctor which will treat your specific condition.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top