Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

22-11-2014, 03:28 AM

Short term memory loss.

We have all heard that as we age, our short term memory weakens. I have had that issue for a few years now. Don't ask me what I had for lunch, but I'll tell you stuff from 40 years ago in vivid detail. LOL, anyone have any hints to help with short term memory? Right now I've got post-it notes all over the place.

Edit: Just noticed I placed this post in the wrong section. Oops, it should have been in the Health section.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 05:54 AM

Re: Short term memory loss.

Like any older person I forget things but it hasn't become a problem..............yet!
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

22-11-2014, 06:12 AM

It can be quite a nuisance, especially at work. My boss gives me dirty looks and makes smart aleck remarks. LOL, she's just as bad.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 06:58 AM

Ive been known to forget what im looking for in the time it takes to walk between rooms, frustrating, but the worst is remembering names they then become thingymebob in the hope my brain starts functioning again.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 10:13 AM

I find I'm constantly losing my keys & my reading glasses.
I never know where I've put them - my mind seems to go blank.
I never used to have this problem!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Its so bloomin annoying, used to be so organised and never forgot a thing ..... its a shame it is ......
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Think we all suffer to some extent.

I noticed my mum getting worse, when her Saturday Express crossword, alpha puzzle and another crossword were getting harder for her to do, she used to finish them in a couple of hours then it took longer to a point where she stopped doing them altogether.

I had to write her a diary for the week to remind her what she was doing and when, then noticed that wasn't working after a while (she had said at the time it was very helpful), she didn't know what day of the week it was.

In the end she got so bad, that I could tell her either I'll come back for you in an hour and we'll go out, and find that she wasn't ready and had forgotten she was going out. Or sometimes I'd say you can relax today you are not going anywhere, and then find her sitting with her coat and shoes on ready to go she knew not where.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
Think we all suffer to some extent.

I noticed my mum getting worse, when her Saturday Express crossword, alpha puzzle and another crossword were getting harder for her to do, she used to finish them in a couple of hours then it took longer to a point where she stopped doing them altogether.

I had to write her a diary for the week to remind her what she was doing and when, then noticed that wasn't working after a while (she had said at the time it was very helpful), she didn't know what day of the week it was.

In the end she got so bad, that I could tell her either I'll come back for you in an hour and we'll go out, and find that she wasn't ready and had forgotten she was going out. Or sometimes I'd say you can relax today you are not going anywhere, and then find her sitting with her coat and shoes on ready to go she knew not where.
That must be quite heart-breaking for you Valice,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 01:02 PM

Short term memory loss.
I am afraid it is something which plagues most of us as we age .
I understand different areas of the brain are responsible for short and long term memory and one area fails faster than the other.

I find the process of writing things down helps me, I seem to remember better once I have committed them to paper even if I don't read them again.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 01:22 PM

Mum was always worried she'd have alzheimers (sp), but doctor found it to be caused by TIA's (mini strokes), as she forgot more she stopped worrying about it.
Looked after her for 2 years before she died.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top