Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Health Anxiety: can you worry yourself sick?

I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) which started in my early 40's. That has mellowed some as I've gotten older (I just turned 51) but now I'm constantly worried about my health and I think it's causing problems that don't really exist.

Anyone else had (or is having) problems with health anxiety? And what symptoms did it produce for you?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 01:37 PM

Re: Health Anxiety: can you worry yourself sick?

Health anxiety is terrible and is a risk to your health. I've seen this many times.
When I'm stressed I feel 'very' ill - so I'm not going to add to that by worrying if there is something wrong with me, I can do without that
I have many health problems anyway, so I distract meself as much as I can, but stress is hard to tackle, again distraction is the only way ......... I can understand your feelings though, I've felt I'm having a heart attack at times
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Headaches,hyperventilating,nausea ,.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 01:46 PM

I woke up with a pain in my leg this morning and I've convinced myself it's a clot!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I woke up with a pain in my leg this morning and I've convinced myself it's a clot!
Yep - I've had the same, but I don't convince meself of anything, I just ignore it - if there is really something wrong, me body lets me know in no uncertain terms, it screams at me !
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Well one thing I've discovered - the internet is evil! LOL

You go and look up one little symptom and come across a bunch of other stuff that has you convinced you're dying.

My anxiety already causes me headaches and chest pains and all kinds of other stupid stuff. Even my doctor told me, "Stop looking online for medical advice, you're going to drive yourself crazy and give yourself 'phantom' symptoms, symptoms for illnesses you don't even have."

But, at the same time, the internet can be very useful for looking up drug interactions, info on prescription and OTC drugs, etc. But then my stupid a$$ goes and looks at side effects and I end up having those side effects because I've entered it into my mind.

Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 01:54 PM

sounds just like me!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Well one thing I've discovered - the internet is evil! LOL

You go and look up one little symptom and come across a bunch of other stuff that has you convinced you're dying.

My anxiety already causes me headaches and chest pains and all kinds of other stupid stuff. Even my doctor told me, "Stop looking online for medical advice, you're going to drive yourself crazy and give yourself 'phantom' symptoms, symptoms for illnesses you don't even have."
But, at the same time, the internet can be very useful for looking up drug interactions, info on prescription and OTC drugs, etc. But then my stupid a$$ goes and looks at side effects and I end up having those side effects because I've entered it into my mind.

Listen to your doctor - you've got one that makes sense
Linda0818
USA

25-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Yep - I've had the same, but I don't convince meself of anything, I just ignore it - if there is really something wrong, me body lets me know in no uncertain terms, it screams at me !
You know what? From this day forward I'm going to do my best to adopt this attitude.

*ignore it, Linda, stop obsessing over every little thing that bothers you*

I guess I'm just not ready to get old yet. Yet I just have to face the fact that as I get older, I'm going to have more and more little problems here and there as my body begins to wear out. It's just the way it is. But you're right, Patsy... if there's something SERIOUSLY wrong, I'll know it.

I've been to the doctor more in the last 6 months than I have in the last 6 years. Mostly because she's trying to find a blood pressure and cholesterol med that won't cause me side effects, when I could very well be bringing on those side effects myself.

I think my doctor is the one I'm driving crazy
Linda0818
USA

25-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
And it most likely isn't

Edit to add: I have pains in my legs all the time. Sometimes shooting pains that make it uncomfortable to sleep. My doc says I probably have bursitis.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top