Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:08 PM

Re: Becoming a pill taking nation

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I'm not talking about taking medicines to control / cure a medical condition.
I'm more thinking about the mass prescribing of drugs to all and sundry on the notion that they may prevent illness or death at some time in the future.

Who are the 'all and sundry' that are being prescribed medication against their will?

And what 'notion'?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:34 PM

According to today's news, Half of women in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs, according to the comprehensive Health Survey for England.

Further reading suggests that more and more people should be routinely prescribed drugs. So who is benefitting from this - the patients, the NHS, or heaven forbid, the pharmacutical companies?
50% percent of women & 46% of men, so we all in a similar boat. The population is ageing and so need more medication, or so GP"s aka Pharmecutical Industries would have us believe .There is plenty of money to be made in prescribed drugs.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:43 PM

Who said "against their will"? I don't believe that I did, although it did happen to me when a new GP at my health centre wrote to me saying that he was prescribing drugs for me. He had never even met me and I complained to the practice manager.

Generally, there are plenty of instances where the routine prescription of drugs is recommended for people who are at a relatively 'low risk' on a statistical possibility that they may benefit.

How many people will actually challenge their GP if they recommend taking a drug purely as a preventative measure?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:51 PM

Who said "against their will"? I don't believe that I did, although it did happen to me when a new GP at my health centre wrote to me saying that he was prescribing drugs for me. He had never even met me and I complained to the practice manager.

Generally, there are plenty of instances where the routine prescription of drugs is recommended for people who are at a relatively 'low risk' on a statistical possibility that they may benefit.

How many people will actually challenge their GP if they recommend taking a drug purely as a preventative measure?
I did.....recommended, no once is forced to take a prescription from their doctor if they don't want it.

And preventative medication isn't a 'notion'
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Doctors are (and I think it was a doctor who told me) people who prescribe medicines about which they know very little to people about whom they know even less.

Me, I just remain very cynical when it comes to weighing up the possible benefits of some long term medication versus the profit motive of the drug companies.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:04 PM

I must admit I take 9 tablets a day plus 2 injections, and I don't pay for my prescriptions because of my Diabetes.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

11-12-2014, 09:05 PM

Grumblewagon, I get what you're saying. Over here in America, it seems the opposite though. At least for me, getting doctors to write me a prescription hasn't been easy.
Pats
Lincolnshire

11-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Doctors are (and I think it was a doctor who told me) people who prescribe medicines about which they know very little to people about whom they know even less. .
I think you should rephrase that to read 'some doctors' because quite frankly that is an insult to the profession.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I think you should rephrase that to read 'some doctors' because quite frankly that is an insult to the profession.
I couldn't agree more!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
Grumblewagon, I get what you're saying. Over here in America, it seems the opposite though. At least for me, getting doctors to write me a prescription hasn't been easy.
Really? What doctor have you been seeing?

I'm in the states as well and, in my experience, most docs want to slap a script in your hand for just about anything.

I could call my doctor up today and say something like "I've been having trouble eating because I have no appetite, is there something I can take to stimulate it?" and there will be a script faxed to my pharmacy within a couple of hours.

The only thing she's reluctant to give me too much of (and controls with dates on when the scripts can be filled) is my Ativan. But that's because it's a controlled substance and she doesn't want me becoming addicted. But any other little ailment I may have, she's got a fix for that! LOL

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top