Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 03:18 PM

Re: Cleaning a vitreous enamel bath

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
...what gas do you think this mixture is going to give off? Could you be confusing this with bleach. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2 and bicarbonate of soda is NaHCO3. It did not give of any gas at all but perhaps hydrogen peroxide could be a bit agressive on your skin, I did not notice anything when I cleaned the bath and ladies use it to bleach their hair.
I was thinking about this a little. Although I am definately not a chemist, and may be wrong, I'll try to answer.

I would expect that H2O2 + NaHCo3 when mixed would give off three compounds. Water (H2O) Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH)

As Carbon Dioxide is an odouless, colourless gas, that would explain that no gas emissions were noticed. Sodium Hydroxide is another name for Caustic Soda(?).

So I can understand that H&S rules have the 3% limit. Was by any chance any extra water added to dilute the mix to 3%?

It does make for one question though. As 3% is the H&s limit for cleaning purposes, why is it possible to buy 6% for bleaching hair?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 03:20 PM

I would guess because it's safe to have it stronger if you are not mixing it with bi carb. Many substances are safe alone but mix them you have a toxic concoction.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

09-01-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well I am only going by our health and safety rules at work so you take your chance and take whichever ideas you wish to follow.
You must follow your rules at work otherwise you will get in to trouble just like I had to follow all the health and safety rules for hand tools but when you do things for yourself at home you have to do things cheaply and economically otherwise things just would not get done. Do you know I was not even supposed to carry a box of odd nuts and bolts in my van because of health and safety plus QA. I always carried my nuts and bolts plus spare fuses, bits of metal and even the odd tube of glue. Telling the customer you cannot fix his refrigerator because you haven't got the bits just wasn't an option. We would have to pay the stock loss and the customers would have no frozen food until the next delivery, but then, that doesn't matter to health and safety does it.
When money gets involved we have to look at things differently.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

09-01-2015, 03:39 PM

I would guess because it's safe to have it stronger if you are not mixing it with bi carb. Many substances are safe alone but mix them you have a toxic concoction.
If you don't mix the bicarbonate of soda it does not work.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 04:00 PM

If you don't mix the bicarbonate of soda it does not work.
I was answering about bleaching hair, as far as I am aware no one puts bicarb on their hair
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

09-01-2015, 04:11 PM

I was answering about bleaching hair, as far as I am aware no one puts bicarb on their hair
No but beer is pretty good!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 04:27 PM

It sure is - I may go back to trying that !
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

09-01-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
It sure is - I may go back to trying that !
I remember a guy in the local brewery who fell in a vat of beer, they say he had to climb out three times to go to the bathroom before before he finally drowned.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 04:53 PM

I remember a guy in the local brewery who fell in a vat of beer, they say he had to climb out three times to go to the bathroom before before he finally drowned.
Ooooer -
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 05:25 PM

That would be a waste of beer, unless of course it was french beer. In which case, the beer would not be good enough.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top