Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 09:08 PM

Recumbent bikes

I could not recommend a quality recumbent bike more. I have two arthritic knees ( as well as calcium deposits in them and runners knee ) and a few arthritic toes from breaking them and them healing poorly. I am also still obese, but coming down slowly.

I have a Schwinn 220 that I bought in Aug 2011 for just over 400 bucks and it is wonderful. As you are sitting on a very wide seat and it has a back to it, there is no hunching over, reducing any neck, shoulder or back pain. As your feet never touch the ground, there is no pounding to already fragile knees.

When I first got it I was 50 and could only do about 12 minutes and thought I would never conquer it. Yesterday I did 23 miles in 62 minutes, so you can truly get stronger as you get older, next week is my 54th birthday.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:52 PM

Re: Recumbent bikes

They are very good but their advantage is also their disadvantage. The low profile makes them less visible in traffic.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:36 AM

Someone who lives locally had one of those and seeing them always made me cringe . It was so low to the ground I imagined it not being visible to a lorries with terrible consequences...

Maybe they are better suited to the USA where the roads are wide. I would say they are not a good thing on our narrow roads some hardly a cars width wide.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
They are very good but their advantage is also their disadvantage. The low profile makes them less visible in traffic.
Sorry if I caused any confusion, recumbent bikes here are stationary only. I keep mine in my garage.

Being from the other side of the pond, I will have to try to be more clear in my posts.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

17-01-2015, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Someone who lives locally had one of those and seeing them always made me cringe . It was so low to the ground I imagined it not being visible to a lorries with terrible consequences...

Maybe they are better suited to the USA where the roads are wide. I would say they are not a good thing on our narrow roads some hardly a cars width wide.

Sorry if I caused any confusion - my recumbent is stationary only, I was not even aware that they make them for riding around in. I have anxiety disorder, I do not drive, or ride bikes in NY chaos, all my fitness equipment ( I also have an elliptical machine ) are in my garage.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 12:49 AM

Hi Tish this is what I had in mind for a recumbent bike ...

Perhaps you mean a stationary exercise bicycle
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

17-01-2015, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Tish this is what I had in mind for a recumbent bike ...

Perhaps you mean a stationary exercise bicycle
Wow !!!
Not seen one like this before - thanks for posting.

No, mine is a Schwinn 220 recumbent stationary bike. You can set the tension between 1 and 16, it has a dashboard that tells you distance, calories burned, time, etc. I have it 3.5 years and for $ 400 I think I got a lot of use out of it.

How do I post pictures ? I can not seem to work it out, copy and pasting has not worked for me so far.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

17-01-2015, 12:57 AM

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

17-01-2015, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by MADAMENOTMISS ->
How do I post pictures ? I can not seem to work it out, copy and pasting has not worked for me so far.
Post 6 here is relevant Tish

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...463#post386463
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN

17-01-2015, 06:27 AM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top