Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2010, 11:45 PM

Re: Are you superstitious?

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
LOL, maryl, it is magpies, I believe in the UK; when the settlers came here to the States crows were much more common so the old saying got transmuted into crows! I'd heard it all my life and was surprised on my first UK forum to hear it was magpies originally. I've never seen a magpie.
Here's the magpie, Eileen .....

maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Oh no! Where's the second one for joy?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks, Mags, we do have them here, but more in the Northern tier of States and out West. Very striking birds, wonder how they got linked to the old rhyme.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 05:02 PM

never light three on a match

DM at least that one has a reason? -snipers from WW1

1-he sees it

2-he aims

3-A head gets blown off

My maternal grandfather used to tell a tale about this lad who kept popping his head up when they were both on the fire step. Nothing to do with matches but Granddad Hall got spattered with gore
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 05:37 PM

My Dad used to shoot magpies, I can't remember why!

I feel like shooting them too when they are dancing the light fantastic on the roof slates above my bedroom at about 5am!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 06:06 PM

I'm not, but my Grandmother had most of the ones mentioned plus the one about a Woman whistling in the house, 'The height of bad luck' according to her. I dont know about that, but if my missus started whistling around the house it would drive me mad and she might have a bit of bad luck.
Most Women cant whistle anyway.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
never light three on a match

DM at least that one has a reason? -snipers from WW1

1-he sees it

2-he aims

3-A head gets blown off

My maternal grandfather used to tell a tale about this lad who kept popping his head up when they were both on the fire step. Nothing to do with matches but Granddad Hall got spattered with gore
I got that story from my Dad, OG, who served in WWI.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

26-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I'm not, but my Grandmother had most of the ones mentioned plus the one about a Woman whistling in the house, 'The height of bad luck' according to her. I dont know about that, but if my missus started whistling around the house it would drive me mad and she might have a bit of bad luck.
Most Women cant whistle anyway.
Are you thinking of the old saying:

A whistling girl and a crowing hen
Both will come to no good end

And I CAN whistle!!
CritterMum
West Mifflin, United States
CritterMum is female  CritterMum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 09:34 PM

I can whistle too! Plus when I can't find my critters, I just whistle & they all come running from their hiding places.

No, I'm don't feel that I am superstitious either. One of my lucky numbers is 13; I own a black cat & few other cats, I also have a black dog.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

26-09-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by CritterMum ->
I can whistle too! Plus when I can't find my critters, I just whistle & they all come running from their hiding places.

No, I'm don't feel that I am superstitious either. One of my lucky numbers is 13; I own a black cat & few other cats, I also have a black dog.
Black cats are beautiful, my Onyx was coal black with yellow eyes. You can see her in my album. Along with others.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top