Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Re: Useful tips

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Heres a tip, if you burn any part of your hands rub the burn vigourously against the scalp of your head for about 20 seconds, this will prevent a blister and pain. I learned this trick from a Turkish chap I was apprenticed to in the 60s and it works a treat. Alas, I don't think it works on bald People, and if you burn your leg or backside it's just too bad (unless you're a contortionist).
Pity I didn't know that! I am always burning or scalding myself, usually through inattention! I have a badly scarred right hand after inadvertently pouring hot fat over in in 2007, that was a hospital job! I have a scarred left thumb after burning it on the top of the cooker a few weeks ago! I have numerous others scars too, including one on my chin when I tripped over the flipping dog, and chinned myself on the hot plate of the Aga in a house we were living in circa the early 90s! It is a good job I have never been vain about my appearance!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Sorry to hear that Qetta, nasty things burns.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Here's a brilliant tip .... If you hate washing up get yourself a dishwasher. I've just got one for the first time in my life and I don't know how I've lived without one all these years, they are brilliant! I can't get over something doing all my washing up for me, it saves me such a lot of time. I couldn't live without one now.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Me too Alicat, they keep your kitchen tidy too.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by qetta ->
Pity I didn't know that! I am always burning or scalding myself, usually through inattention! I have a badly scarred right hand after inadvertently pouring hot fat over in in 2007, that was a hospital job! I have a scarred left thumb after burning it on the top of the cooker a few weeks ago! I have numerous others scars too, including one on my chin when I tripped over the flipping dog, and chinned myself on the hot plate of the Aga in a house we were living in circa the early 90s! It is a good job I have never been vain about my appearance!
Sorry Qetta but that made me laugh (in the nicest possible way) You are a walking disaster
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Here's a brilliant tip .... If you hate washing up get yourself a dishwasher. I've just got one for the first time in my life and I don't know how I've lived without one all these years, they are brilliant! I can't get over something doing all my washing up for me, it saves me such a lot of time. I couldn't live without one now.
We have had a dishwasher for about 30 years, I certainly wouldn't do without one.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Damn - can't think of any - will come back to you
Dancingsky
None

05-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
Sorry Qetta but that made me laugh (in the nicest possible way) You are a walking disaster
Tell me about it. I am always doing something stupid. Although to give me my due when cleaning out the gutter the other day with my husband holding the ladder steady, I did refuse to climb higher at his urging. I just knew I would probably fall off! Then he would tell me I was making a fuss about nothing if I broke my neck! My husband is never sympathetic if I hurt myself, he tells me it is my own silly fault, which of course it usually is!
buttercup
Wiltshire

05-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by qetta ->
Tell me about it. I am always doing something stupid. Although to give me my due when cleaning out the gutter the other day with my husband holding the ladder steady, I did refuse to climb higher at his urging. I just knew I would probably fall off! Then he would tell me I was making a fuss about nothing if I broke my neck! My husband is never sympathetic if I hurt myself, he tells me it is my own silly fault, which of course it usually is!
I think with your accident history you are the last person that should be up a ladder without several mattresses on the ground to break your fall
Dancingsky
None

05-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
I think with your accident history you are the last person that should be up a ladder without several mattresses on the ground to break your fall
I would have you know that I used to do all the exterior painting of the house, even getting on the roof to paint the chimney, and I didn't fall off one! (OK, OK more luck than judgement!) My husband has always hated heights. However even I have got slightly more sensible, and as my arthritis is getting worse, we now get the place done by a professional painter and decorator!

It is still my pleasant duty to rod out the drains to the septic tank, one day I will fall in, I bet!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top