Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 03:02 PM

The Spending Review

Have you been very adversely affected by the cuts? As far as I can work out, but I am far from a mathematical genius, it hasn't impinged too greatly on us, although of course when VAT goes up to 20% in January that won't be nice. But of course I could be missing something.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Re: The Spending Review

Well I'm 54 now and have already had the age at which I can take the pension put up to 65. And now I am just that bit too young so it will be 66. Now waiting to see what the Irish government does in their equivalent budget in December. I could lose out twice over...
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2010, 07:25 AM

I am like you DS, V.A.T will effect us as it will everyone. Put up V.A.T and everything goes up in price.
Barbara
New Member!
USA
Barbara is female 

28-10-2010, 12:34 PM

What is VAT?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara ->
What is VAT?
Its Value Added Tax, 17.1/2% at moment going up to 20% next year.

Think Its known in America as General Sales Tax.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2010, 01:12 PM

Barbara Value Added Tax, similar to State Tax.

Dancingsky, I must say like your good self I at this time see no impact BUT going forward I foresee in the near future job queues raising as Civil Servants join the unemployment registrar.

I am away from work at this time recovering from some operations and my employers are keeping open my role but a time may come that they have to say to me that they have to replace me (discrimination law on my side).

Alternatively I may not fully recover but being a workaholic I would need work of some sort to keep my sanity. How easy will it be for me to obtain any employment when up against all the Civil Servants ahead of me.
Barbara
New Member!
USA
Barbara is female 

28-10-2010, 04:33 PM

That's a very high percentage.

Do you pay an annual property tax on your land/home/cars?
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara ->
That's a very high percentage.

Do you pay an annual property tax on your land/home/cars?
We don't pay a yearly property tax, but if you own more than one home you are subject to capital gains tax when you sell the second home. Each year we have to renew our car tax, how much depends on how environmentally friendly one's car is. The more petrol (gas) it guzzles the more you will pay in car tax.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dancingsky ->
We don't pay a yearly property tax, but if you own more than one home you are subject to capital gains tax when you sell the second home. Each year we have to renew our car tax, how much depends on how environmentally friendly one's car is. The more petrol (gas) it guzzles the more you will pay in car tax.
Err, we pay council tax on our property annually...
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2010, 11:30 AM

I will be affected by this review. I had to stop work over a year ago due to ill-health, was eventually put onto Jobseekers Allowance, then Employment Support Allowance. Standard Contributory based ESA is the same amount per week as JSA. I attended a medical in September last year and failed it, appealed and won that in June this year at a tribunal backed with hospital and my GP letters. That was a horrendous and very stressful time and both the doctor and lawyer there said I should never had failed at my medical and had to appeal. So now I am on a slightly increased ESA which I understood I would receive until I reach state retirement age. This review says that I can only receive CB ESA for 12 months because my husband works (low earner). I have already been on it for over a year. I have paid my NI stamp since I was fifteen, except for when I had my children and am worried sick. If I hadn't paid all those years I would be on income related ESA and not be affected. I will be expected to look for work on JSA which I just cannot do, what was the point of going through that tribunal experience?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top