Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2011, 02:02 PM

The English language

Does it ever bother you that there are so very many people who claim English is their first language, yet can't speak or write it correctly? Now everyone makes an occasional spelling or grammar mistake but I'm talking about folks who's writing is actually difficult to read and comprehend.

I got flamed on a forum recently for suggesting to someone that their money would be better spent learning the English language than wasted on another camera gadget. The original post was constructed so poorly I could barely read it at all. The flaming was written just as poorly.

I'm fed up with people turning a blind eye to stupidity. Our children are not being taught basic English and writing skills in our schools. The teachers are more concerned about turning out their quotas of students than educating our young ones.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

12-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Re: The English language

I`m with you on this one Bob !

Some posts are very difficult to read or understand and tbh it`s not just the youth of today .......... Some very senior seniors are bloody awful , which surprises me as standards were much , much higher then .

Some people need to re-assess their priorities and perhaps access some higher education to make themselves better understood , imho ..........

P.S. ............. Isnt it funny when someone on a Forum tries to insult you and their English is soooooooooo bad that all anyone can do is laugh ............. LOLOLOLOL

bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Part of this uprising on my part this morning was a physical reaction to my blood sugar being way too low. I'm a diabetic that should know better than to get into a social situation when I haven't had anything to eat. In went back and apologized to that forum.

Still, I stand by my contention that education, especially the basics, is in dire straights. I dropped off Facebook because my nieces insisted on using abbreviated texting language in their posts. That's not English.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2011, 09:12 PM

There are many excellent schools and great teachers here in the States, but unfortunately far too many mediocre ones and some disgraceful ones in the inner city that can only be described as holding pens! Too much "teaching to the test", too many cutbacks on the arts, music, and creativity in general! You have pushed my button, Bob!

And spoken English isn't up to snuff... it's appalling how many commentators on TV cannot pronounce Arctic and February, to name just two words ..... I despair!

End of rant .......
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2011, 10:22 PM

I use grown ups txt tlk when texting and speak properly and write clearly on all other occasions. The thing that gets right up my nose though is the completely incorrect use of words by people who should most certainly know better. I've lost count of the amount of times people say pacific instead of specific!! And a traffic news reporter recently announced 'The crash on the M6 had caused traffic to be at a standstill on either direction!!!!!! I mean exactly who let her say that?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2011, 11:41 PM

Unbelievable, isn't it, Cassie. I do use a few things like IMO, LOL, ROTFL when posting, but normally use or try to and intend to use clear, proper grammatical English. One of the worst examples here is "ax" for "ask" ...oh, that sets my teeth on edge!! What will happen when all of our cohort of correct English-speakers go to our reward and there is no one left to wince, shudder and send a Letter (or e-mail) to the Editor deploring the sorry state of things? I'm posting this half-way humorously and half-way seriously ...
bobmielke
Portland, OR

12-04-2011, 11:55 PM

The folks who do the news are no better. In my youth you had to have at least a high education to be on the news. Now it's "My sister SHE did this....". It's deplorable. When typing on a computer there is no excuse because there's a spell checker testing every word you type. There, Their or They're are words sorely abused. Two, to, too are butchered as well.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

13-04-2011, 02:01 AM

Oh, the spell check is only good for the actual spelling; it can't comprehend a word used in the wrong context as long as the spelling is correct; for example I can type "My neighbor has a fog" when I mean "dog" and it won't catch it ...

Better to teach them to spell in school ... did you have spelling bees when you were in elementary school, Bob? I still smile remembering that I won in 4th grade with "queue" and "syzygy" .... many many moons ago!
bobmielke
Portland, OR

13-04-2011, 02:32 AM

I'm not suggesting a spell checker replace knowledge, just that obvious errors can be caught with a minimum of effort. Part of the problem is apathy. The black population thinks it's an insult to talk like "whitey".
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Bobmielke - I agree that incorrect use of the English language is infuriating. I do not agree that teachers are to blame for this. Teachers are unable to teach properly because they are not allowed to discipline disruptive pupils.

Its yer akshool lak ov dissplin dats de problim innit? Eni fule no dat!

I am sure that discipline with a lump of 2 X 3 would have the desired effect!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top