Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Re: Why is the United States so violent?

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Well I am wrong, it is St Louis......that surprises me.

Here’s a look at the top ten most dangerous cities in America:

St. Louis
Memphis
Little Rock
Springfield
Albuquerque
Oakland
Chattanooga
Pueblo
Baltimore
Anchorage

You might be thinking to yourself at this point — where’s Chicago?? Isn’t that some kind of post-apocalyptic, world war 3 type city? Well, it actually ranks as the 62nd most dangerous with a pretty normal overall crime rate.

And while these places are some of the most dangerous in America, you have to remember America is a safe place to live relative to the rest of the world. Be glad you don’t live in Caracas, Venezuela where the murder rate is 2x higher than any US City

WOW Blue...this list sure surprizes me with St. Louis at the top of it... Our niece lives in a suburb of St. Louis...I've always thought of it as a quiet place to live...
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 08:58 PM

I just got it from Google Filly, no telling how true it is tho.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 09:05 PM

I just got it from Google Filly, no telling how true it is tho.

Truth be told...if anyone had asked me to guess which city had the most killings in the US, I would have guessed it was Chicago too...
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
You can't compare figures between UK and America, America is a huge country compared to UK.

I feel unsafe in my small town never mind the damn country!
I was comparing the rates.

US has five times the population yet 15000 murders compared to the UK's 7 or 800. We'd need to have 3000 murders a year to be on the same playing field which isn't ever going to happen.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Truth be told...if anyone had asked me to guess which city had the most killings in the US, I would have guessed it was Chicago too...
Ok this will be long and may be prove nothing.

I go to LV at least 2 times a year.

I play poker

That means in LV I sit at a table sometimes for up to 8 hours with 8 other players going and coming and we talk and others talk and I listen

A Black man who was playing was asked were he was from and he stated Chicago.

The other American said OMG a lot of trouble there... the Black person replied that he lived in North Chicago and not the war zone of South Chicago, this was 3 years ago and I think the Murder rate has got bigger since.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 08:27 AM

But Toronto, that's another story.....!!!
I live in the Greater Toronto Area (meaning the outskirts, Oakville area), and I am terrified to go out at night.....(in downtown Toronto)..it is so dangerous......
Did a Youtube search about your statement about Toronto.

And came up with among other things about the state of your city and also Faith Goldy(shes right wing) who is standing for Major but is banned by the media from taking part in TV discussions with other candidates

You are voting tomorrow, but as an outsider I hope she wins.

Could not believe that a Canadian City has sunk so low because of the left wing morons.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
They have around 15000 murders a year compared to 7 or 800 in the UK.

They have five times the population giving a murder rate some 4 times that of the UK. Is it all down to guns?
Watching a programme on television about the ease at which guns can be purchased in the USA, is horrifying! It appears one only has to be aged 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed arms dealer, but, only aged 18 to buy a long gun. In some places, mostly rural areas where hunting is done, children aged only 14 - 16 can buy a rifle!!!
The dreadful truth is that in many states, one only has to be aged 18 in order to buy a semi automatic over the counter!

From what I saw on that programme, a semi automatic is capable of firing between 90-120 bullets per minute. That is 2 rounds per second! Imagine this weapon in the hands of a mentally disturbed individual as has been witnessed in schools and concerts in America. It's truly frightening.
The programme stated there is one school shooting a week!

I do appreciate that we have had our own shooting horrors here in the UK, Dunblane and Hungerford usually come to mind with particular horror. However, thank the good Lord we have on the whole, strict gun laws in this country, otherwise I truly believe the figure for horror shootings would not be far behind the USA if our current knife crime figures are anything to go by.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 10:11 AM

This is a map of homicide rates per 100,000.

80% of homicides are committed by young men between the ages 0f 17 and 29.

Apologies for the small picture. It can be expanded with a click. Here's the source link from the World Health Organization:

http://apps.who.int/violence-info/homicide/

Click image for larger version

Name:	WHO Homicide.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	7668

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Apologies for the small picture. It can be expanded with a click. Here's the source link from the World Health Organization:

http://apps.who.int/violence-info/homicide/
To be honest that seems to say more or less the same as the map I attached in message #13 just more difficult to read and on a scale of per 100000 rather than 1000000.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

And to think everyone laughs at Donald Trump for wanting to build a wall cutting off Mexico and Central America....

You're a bit close to all the action yourself Surfermom.........Shall I look for a nice place for you to live in Yorkshire?...

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top