Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Euro-zone

What happens now!
Britain in or out of the "Europe-zone"!
Will we ever be fully committed to the Euro-zone!

I think the big stumbling bloke for us is even though we are in the continent of Europe we are not mainland Europe but an island apart.

A few years ago my husband and myself when in Austria where asked by an Austrian couple did we regard ourselves as European or British.
Without hesitation we replied British.
They said that is where we are different they consider themselves European as do other mainland European countries but we are British first and foremost.
Is this attitude helping or hindering us?

We have been referred to as "those difficult little British islanders"
mysterie
Sydney, Australia
mysterie is female  mysterie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Re: Euro-zone

Well I for one am a proud English woman, I feel I have a right to call myself as such rather than a European. I will also say that I felt tourism was the main avenue for revenue and neighbourly welcome, I never liked the way this EU overtook the original agreement - the common market, it has all got out of hand. I don't like being told what to do by people who live in a different country, at least with the Westminster mob I had the vote on who sits in office.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mysterie ->
Well I for one am a proud English woman, I feel I have a right to call myself as such rather than a European. I will also say that I felt tourism was the main avenue for revenue and neighbourly welcome, I never liked the way this EU overtook the original agreement - the common market, it has all got out of hand. I don't like being told what to do by people who live in a different country, at least with the Westminster mob I had the vote on who sits in office.
Absolutely right in every respect Gill, and as for the description "those difficult little British islanders" I can only fall back on the well worn but true cliche of, they did not call us that on a few notable occasions.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 03:27 PM

I was never in favour of the 'common market' in the first place when I thought it was all about being trading partners not about being ruled by Brussels.
Now I am really sickened by the whole thing.

When you consider how much money has been wasted by having a European Parliament from wage/expenses to running lavish buildings and this on top of paying for our own Parliament it is nothing short of stupidity. I would think any benefit which could have been gained from a common market were wiped out by costs.

We have seen food mountains/the C.A.P /fishing quotas to name but a few of the follies this 'gravy train for the few' the EU has created .

I don't know where we go from here, the whole thing is a mess.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 04:09 PM

I don't consider my self British at all. I'm Scottish and proud of it, I'm always quick to point that out to people too.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by White Raven ->
I don't consider my self British at all. I'm Scottish and proud of it, I'm always quick to point that out to people too.
We are named as "Great Britain" by the Euro-zone as this is the collective for the British Isles membership.
Scottish, Welsh, English and Irish are the individuals proud nationalities.
rueben
lancs uk

11-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I don't know where we go from here, the whole thing is a mess.
It's going to be an even bigger mess Meg when all the representatives of countries with lorry loads of paperwork have to present themselves for scrutiny by Brussels at a monthly meeting under this new treaty.
Me thinks continuing wasted time and money with more corruption to come.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 05:42 PM

I consider all politicians to be duplicitous and self serving, but the European kind make it an art form...

We need to free ourselves from the sinking Euro ship and increase our trade with the rest of the world. As some pundit wrote today, being in Europe " is like being shackled to a sinking corpse"

Let's leave the Euro fanatics to each other, and then without the cost and the dead hand of Euro bureaucracy, perhaps sanity and prosperity can return to these proud islands..
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 05:59 PM

I'm pleased Cameron had the balls to tell that ridiculous Sarcozy to stick his offer up his behind. The whole Europe thing has become a joke,with countries joining from so called Eastern Europe, with tons of problems of their own.You just wonder what the hell we are getting out of this madhouse. I've just watched some twat called Lord Oakshott from the Lib Dems, bleating this morning about the decision Cameron took. The sooner this dopey coalition is wound up the better. Can you imagine Clegg and Co. running the country? I'd be off to Dignitas post haste.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I consider all politicians to be duplicitous and self serving, but the European kind make it an art form...

We need to free ourselves from the sinking Euro ship and increase our trade with the rest of the world. As some pundit wrote today, being in Europe " is like being shackled to a sinking corpse"

Let's leave the Euro fanatics to each other, and then without the cost and the dead hand of Euro bureaucracy, perhaps sanity and prosperity can return to these proud islands..
Well said Barry,
Personally I am getting more worried since I started listening in detail to what Nigel Farage has been saying recently. He has somehow begun to resemble the the voice of reason. The more I hear him the more I think he is actually speaking what most of the British people are thinking.

There are still those who believe in the european ideal but in reality we have all been duped and lied to from the get-go regarding the real aims of Europe and more specifically the Germans.
I believe we should get out quick sticks and hope it is not too late.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top