Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Re: Dfs

Originally Posted by pixie ->
is that a english store ?
Yes It started out with Herbert H selling nylon stockings from a suitcase. He progressed to a sale room selling second hand goods and a caravan park then he opened the first DFS.

In those days there was no Sunday trading except for a limited range of goods including vegetables . So Herbert H came up with a plan to sell bags of carrots and to throw in a free suite of furniture. Strangely, on a Sunday the carrots cost the same price as a suite did the rest of the week
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Marian when buying large expensive items of furniture I wait for the sales and buy from a good retailer, someone like John Lewis. I wouldn't put DFS in this category .
http://www.johnlewis.com/Home+and+Ga...bCategory.aspx

My current suite has loose covers and was purchased twenty years ago, the upholstery is as good as new although the sun has faded the loose covers. That was to be expected
It cost me half the original price in the sales.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Marian when buying large expensive items of furniture I wait for the sales and buy from a good retailer, someone like John Lewis. I wouldn't put DFS in this category .
http://www.johnlewis.com/Home+and+Ga...bCategory.aspx

My current suite has loose covers and was purchased twenty years ago, the upholstery is as good as new although the sun has faded the loose covers. That was to be expected
It cost me half the original price in the sales.
Yes that's a good idea Meg, just had a quick look at the link and there are some nice ones. Shame they are so far away though, nearest is Newcastle. I did go into a store in Carlisle yesterday and saw a couple of nice ones, just slightly dearer than what I've seen in DFS and they do 2 years interest free credit and they did seem to be of a much better quality.

Thanks for the information about how DFS started up, I didn't know that and it was interesting to read
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
We had a look round our area DFS store but did not see anything that really grabbed us although a lot were probably worth another look. Like you were a little apprehensive regarding quality and left it.

In hindsight, we would have been better off finding something there that would have suited us. We chose to support and buy from a local retailer and that was an unmitigated disaster.

Just make sure as much as you can you know exactly what it is that you are signing for.
Oh no that must have been a pain especially as you supported a local retailer. Did you get it sorted out in the end?

I've actually been looking on and off for a few years now and its getting to the point where I really do need to get something and the thing with DFS is spreading it out over 4 years as I don't really have the money to pay up front The shop in Carlisle looks promising if I can afford it over 2 years.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2012, 04:42 PM

I have bought two suites in the last 3 years. One for the front room and one for the back. These I bought from CSL. Find them a bit cheaper than DFS. But the same quality. I am happy with both.
My Daughter bought one from DFS, it needs replacing now, Leather is starting to give. She's had it 4 years.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2012, 11:23 PM

I've had two suites from DFS. One was in fabric which lasted quite a few years and was pleased with it. In 2009 bought a leather corner suite and within 6 weeks it began to sag where you sat. Called them and reported this, and they sent someone round to repair it! They had to staple the wooden structure together again! To be quite honest, when I saw the 'innards', it brought to light how cheaply made it was.

I suppose it's hit and miss with what you choose, but I will not be buying from them again.
marpaul
North Cumbria

11-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
I have bought two suites in the last 3 years. One for the front room and one for the back. These I bought from CSL. Find them a bit cheaper than DFS. But the same quality. I am happy with both.
My Daughter bought one from DFS, it needs replacing now, Leather is starting to give. She's had it 4 years.
We don't have a CSL here Shaz. Your daughter's leather one didn't last long!
marpaul
North Cumbria

11-03-2012, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
I've had two suites from DFS. One was in fabric which lasted quite a few years and was pleased with it. In 2009 bought a leather corner suite and within 6 weeks it began to sag where you sat. Called them and reported this, and they sent someone round to repair it! They had to staple the wooden structure together again! To be quite honest, when I saw the 'innards', it brought to light how cheaply made it was.

I suppose it's hit and miss with what you choose, but I will not be buying from them again.
I know what you mean Carmen, the one I currently have is from SCS and after a couple of weeks both the arms went on the sofa. They sent a repair man around and I was surprised to see that the arms were cardboard! The guy who repaired it said that he didn't like how sofa's were made these days, cheap and nasty were his words!! Anyhow it has lasted me well over 10 years and I really should have replaced it a few years ago so am determined to get a new one now
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Leathers just started to crack in a couple of places. She is hoping it will last for another 18 months. She's got a wedding to pay for this year. Does not help that the grandson likes to jump off it, being spiderman.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
Leathers just started to crack in a couple of places. She is hoping it will last for another 18 months. She's got a wedding to pay for this year. Does not help that the grandson likes to jump off it, being spiderman.
Shaz darlin' - that's a question of discipline!!! If I had done that (jumped on/off the suite) as a kid, I know I would very soon be nursing a very red, sore ear. My parents taught us to respect other people's property and our own too and not abuse it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top