Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 01:31 AM

Carer in Asda

I popped into Asda this afternoon and as I was in one of the aisles couldn't help overhearing a woman being stroppy to somebody. I looked around and it was a carer with a little old lady who looked very frail. The carer had obviously taken her to get a few groceries but what stuck in my mind was how rude and disrespectful she was being to the little lady. She obviously didn't want to be there!

I bumped into them again in another aisle and she was still being rude. The little lady was not happy either about the way she was being treated and told the carer so. She's probably paying the Company quite a lot of money as well for this service. It made me feel sad
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 01:40 AM

Re: Carer in Asda

Me being me I would have had to open my mouth I'm afraid, and ask the little lady if she was alright. It wouldn't have made me feel sad. I'd have been angry. These carers have a duty toward their charges for which they are being paid to be kind, helpful and supportive.

Sadly, one hears only too often these days about carers abusing the elderly. I'm not saying that that's the case here, but it sounds border-line to me. Rudeness and disrespect if a form of mental abuse.

Are you sure the carer wasn't the old lady's daughter, niece or other relative?
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 02:03 AM

Actually I did feel angry as well Mollie. The carer was wearing uniform and had a name badge on. I also followed them to the tills and as she was using the self service ones, I tried to read her badge but the writing was too small. If I could have read it I would have reported her. I wouldn't talk to anybody the way she was talking to this little lady. She certainly wasn't treating her like a human being.

I nearly did say something but bottled out.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 02:12 AM

That's a shame Marian, but I can understand why. I'm not one for confrontation either, but if I'd been able to read a badge I too would have reported her.

Perhaps there comes a time when we should speak out, if only to help those who seem to be in need.

What saddens me more is the fact that the little lady hasn't done something about this herself. She may feel unable to report someone for fear of being a nuisance or that she won't be believed. We had a thread about this not long ago about the vulnerable folk in our midst.

If I was in a position where I needed a carer, I still have a big enough gob to say my piece, but not everybody is the same. Some are just grateful for the help and put up and shut up, but that's just not right.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Geeeeeeee I would have told her off my self
but I no its hard to do
I have done it twice now
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 01:05 PM

I would like to know why people like that carer take on these jobs, she is obviously not suited to it
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 02:39 PM

I would have had a word with her just to show her people do notice her behaviour to an old lady.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 04:31 PM

If I had witnessed that behaviour I'm afraid I would have had to say something.......even to make a note of the carer's name to report back to who she was working for!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 05:04 PM

I can understand why you didn't want to butt in Marian. You have in the back of your mind that you might make things worse for the poor old lady.
'Tis a shame you couldn't get the carers name, I'm sure you would have reported her after thinking about it, because you were saddened and angry too.
Pleased to hear the old lady told her though
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 05:21 PM

She is unfit to do her job and I hope it comes to light, the sooner the better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top