Join for free
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 09:17 AM

A good manager

We were having a discussion last evening on what makes a good football manager.
My view is that a good manager is someone who can turn a mediocre player into a good or great player.
So many managers these days just dip into the clubs kitty and buy a ready made star from another club then sit back and take the accolades.
This is not IMO good management. Good judgement maybe but good management? No.
To find a good manager we must look at the clubs in the lower divisions. Little or no money to spend on ready made players they have to make do and most (Not all) are making a very good job of it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Re: A good manager

Football management is one of those mysterious things .
No matter how badly their teams do a sacked manager always manages to get another job.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Football management is one of those mysterious things .
No matter how badly their teams do a sacked manager always manages to get another job.
Its based on BBC management practices Muddy, and seems to be
Pprevalent nowadays?

Donkeyman!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 03:57 PM

Way back, when I was a lad, we all loved to play Football but there was very little in the way of being taught how to do it properly.

We'd have big kids at the back, ready to kick anyone trying to get past with the ball.

We'd have small kids at the front, they all seemed able to do dribbling and score the odd goal.

No management, or coaching, at any point.

But it was fun.

When I watch it, today, I sort of wish that some of those management and coaching skills had been around back then.

What did happen was that anyone showing lots of talent, and had pushy enough parents, would get involved at a local Football League Club, and would then start to get the lessons.

The others just went their own way, got a job and got on with life.

Probably a lot worse now, though, as most players seem to be Imported.

Wonder why they are better than ours?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Way back, when I was a lad, we all loved to play Football but there was very little in the way of being taught how to do it properly.

We'd have big kids at the back, ready to kick anyone trying to get past with the ball.

We'd have small kids at the front, they all seemed able to do dribbling and score the odd goal.

No management, or coaching, at any point.

But it was fun.

When I watch it, today, I sort of wish that some of those management and coaching skills had been around back then.

What did happen was that anyone showing lots of talent, and had pushy enough parents, would get involved at a local Football League Club, and would then start to get the lessons.

The others just went their own way, got a job and got on with life.

Probably a lot worse now, though, as most players seem to be Imported.

Wonder why they are better than ours?

Well its hard to follow the ball whilst looking at a smartphone Ted?
Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2020, 12:16 PM

I have never been able to get my head around the concept of a football manager. When the team are on top, the manager is great, when they do badly, the manager is sacked. Surely when a team keeps losing matches, it's because the players themselves don't score enough goals or the goalie lets too many in?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top