Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 10:04 PM

Re: going back to the moon

FYI, It is 140 million miles to Mars (closest approach) and when traveling at 20,000 mph it will take aprox 7 months.

By comparison the moon is only 240,000 miles from earth and took 3 days to get there.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:16 AM

Some years back, I read an article that discussed the possibility of sending couples on a one-way mission to Mars once they had established a series of greenhouses to grow edible crops. Of course, they also must have a good source of water. The most recent Mars explorer CURIOUSITY has already discovered water merely a few inches below the Martian surface.

Supplies, equipment and more teams would be send in at regular intervals. The article described how they could convert water into hydrogen and oxygen.

It goes without saying that teams of scientists would be searching for life on Mars as one of the first tasks. Naturally, such life would be in the form of bacteria. Can you imagine the thrill of discovering life on another planet ? That would undoubtedly change our way of thinking.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Some years back, I read an article that discussed the possibility of sending couples on a one-way mission to Mars once they had established a series of greenhouses to grow edible crops. Of course, they also must have a good source of water. The most recent Mars explorer CURIOUSITY has already discovered water merely a few inches below the Martian surface.

Supplies, equipment and more teams would be send in at regular intervals. The article described how they could convert water into hydrogen and oxygen.

It goes without saying that teams of scientists would be searching for life on Mars as one of the first tasks. Naturally, such life would be in the form of bacteria. Can you imagine the thrill of discovering life on another planet ? That would undoubtedly change our way of thinking.
I think that's much more likely - possibly in the form of extremophiles or viruses. The problem is that we only know how to look for life was we know it made of organic molecules (made of the CHON elements), and it could well exist in some other form making it easy to miss.
bakerman
Mexico

16-01-2020, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I think that's much more likely - possibly in the form of extremophiles or viruses. The problem is that we only know how to look for life was we know it made of organic molecules (made of the CHON elements), and it could well exist in some other form making it easy to miss.
At first we may miss certain forms of life. However, if we persist, we will prevail. Just because something is difficult does not mean we should give up.

The human species has always been explorers. We have always wanted to know what is just over the horizon. Even as a small child I needed to know what was on the other side of the mountain. Traveling by myself I have journeyed around the world, twice. At times it was difficult, even dangerous, but I never gave up. Now, nearing the end of my life, I don't regret one moment of my thrilling journey. Thus, I am excited, perhaps even jealous, of those who will take the journey to Mars.
bakerman
Mexico

17-01-2020, 06:05 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	48
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	11447

Completed Artemis 1 roll out being loaded onto barge for shipment to Stennis rocket test facility.
Sorry, I do not know how to do the "click to enlarge thing"

bakerman
Mexico

17-01-2020, 07:10 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	first-massive-sls-rocket-core-stage-for-nasas-artemis-completed-and-loaded-for-transport-696x464.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	11448

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Stuff POTUS and FLOTUS into it, light the blue touch paper, and stand well back!
bakerman
Mexico

17-01-2020, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Stuff POTUS and FLOTUS into it, light the blue touch paper, and stand well back!
Is it really necessary to make snide, totally off topic remarks ? I mean, really. Enough is enough !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Is it really necessary to make snide, totally off topic remarks ? I mean, really. Enough is enough !
Apologies!
bakerman
Mexico

19-01-2020, 12:19 AM

Attachment 11453

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top