Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:09 PM

Re: Where do you stand on this?

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Without wishing to hijack the thread, the fact of this matter is that "that American women", Anne Sacoolas, the wife of a US government employee working at the United States Air Force listening station at RAF Croughton, was driving her car, a Volvo XC90, on the wrong side of the road (determined, from CCTV records) when she killed Harry Dunn.
I have to say that I'm surprised it wasn't a BMW.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 12:19 AM

I can't read the first article. The second one says nothing about the driver's condition - I don't think?. But all I have to add is that many here seem to be automatically assuming that this driver is somebody that should be treated like a criminal. All I can see is that he fainted at the wheel. Now then..firstly if the guy knew he was not medically fit to drive. Or even had a feeling he wasn't, he shouldn't have been. So yes he is responsible. And should be dealt with by law.

Secondly if he knew he had a condition and had been cleared medically to drive [ Example :I have a pacemaker/defib. I also have type 2 diabetes. BOth my heart condition and my diabetes are constantly monitored and treated and are totally under control. The DMT feels that I am fit to drive and I have to have examinations every year. I only drive short distances around my town. If go down to Sydney on the freeway my wife or son drive. So, dual responsibility ] Then the legal responsibility is with the doctors.

Thirdly, if the man had no idea there was anything wrong with him, wan't speeding or driving erratically, was licensed and wasn't intoxicated in any way. It is an accident. One that can happen to any of us. A sad and tragic one but an accident nevertheless.

That's my opinion. Tragic accidents happen. It's part of living in civilisation. Victims should always have all the support and sympathy available. But I agree with AT here. There is a difference between justice and revenge. If we are going to condone these parents harassing this man - whatever his level of culpability - we may as well give everybody a gun and go back to the jungle. Wanting or needing vengeance is a natural human drive, But it's one of those ones that we have to resist and keep under control if we want to call this "thing" we live in civilisation. LIke libido..We all feel attracted to people sometimes. But we can't just grab them and do what we want with them. If we do we are condemned and punished. That is something that has to happen. Same with vengeance.

Last word. Mr JBR, What is this BMW thing about ??..My wife drove a BMW 2002 for years. She inherited it from her uncle. It was a great little car. And she is one of the best, most courteous and intuitive drivers I have ever known anywhere. I'm not demanding you explain your odd prejudices but it would be interesting to know where you are coming from with this?..JUst curious. It is a serious question but if you can't give a serious answer, just ignore it OK?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Last word. Mr JBR, What is this BMW thing about ??..My wife drove a BMW 2002 for years. She inherited it from her uncle. It was a great little car. And she is one of the best, most courteous and intuitive drivers I have ever known anywhere. I'm not demanding you explain your odd prejudices but it would be interesting to know where you are coming from with this?..JUst curious. It is a serious question but if you can't give a serious answer, just ignore it OK?
OK. I'll just ignore it on the grounds that many people on here are unaware of my sense of humour.
Or perhaps they don't possess one!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
OK. I'll just ignore it on the grounds that many people on here are unaware of my sense of humour.
Or perhaps they don't possess one!
Just because everybody doesn't automatically think everything you say is meant to be taken as a joke, it doesn't mean they don't have a sense of humour. I don't think bagging people for the kind of car they drive is particularly funny. But hell that's just me mate. Forgive me for taking a discussion about an extremely serious matter seriously. What a miserable humourless sod I am!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 04:09 AM

Maybe he fell asleep at the wheel...who knows

JBR I knew your comment on BMW drivers wasn't serious but not everyone gets Yorkshire humour
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 04:21 AM

There's an article on here: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...illed-21142909

Another article states:
She says: "In deciding whether the accused should be prosecuted I had to decide if the evidence was sufficient to show if his driving fell below that of a careful and competent driver.

"The accused said in his interview that at the time of the collision he had lost control of the car because he had lost consciousness as the result of a fainting fit.

"Although he had no previous history of such incidents he was able to describe a number of key symptoms in the seconds leading up to the faint.

"We obtained the relevant medical records and sought the opinion of medical experts to properly consider the explanation the accused had provided.

"Expert reports consistently support the view that the accused did faint and that he would have been incapable of stopping the car prior to the collision."

All very sad - but I think we have moved on from the days of "an eye for an eye"...........
keezoy
Australia

23-12-2019, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Maybe he fell asleep at the wheel...who knows

JBR I knew your comment on BMW drivers wasn't serious but not everyone gets Yorkshire humour
Thanks for that. I'm afraid I don't know what Yorkshire humour is. I apologise. I've lived in London and I struck a lot of funny people there that made me totally crack up. Can't comment on the rest of Britain. I've heard Geoffrey Boycott trying to be funny. He's from Yorkshire right? The only other famous Yorkshire person I know is Michael Parkinson. We love him. I may know many others but I'd probably only know them as English. But anyway off topic. I'll butt out of this one. Said enough. Apart from..I would totally love to have a nice new Beamer. The Camry is getting a little old.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 07:42 AM

Owning a so called "Prestige Car" used to stigmatize a person, it still does but certain manufacturers are no longer considered Prestige, so, the owners of these self stigmatize nowadays, Imo.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 07:46 AM

It's always an amazement, the amount of traffic on the road, each vehicle with a driver, in any state of consciousness, how, there is not more carnage than there is, it's difficult to assess was is avoidable.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-12-2019, 07:47 AM

That don't help anyone on the receiving end.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top