Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Re: Veganism to be protected under the Equality Act yes/no?

No! it's ridiculous. Just one more piece of PC nonsense.
If anything, Meat suppliers and restaurants should be first in the queue to protect them from zealous Vegan activists.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Annie, No it’s not a fad at all and l can sympathise with you. One of my grandsons suffers with this too.

l think you feel ill because some places don’t prepare the food separately, they use equipment that they have previously prepared gluten food. Or, they’ve cooked it in pans or on trays in ovens where the gluten food has been previously cooked on.
Thank you Art. I'm so sorry for your grandson going through this. It's tough growing up with dietary restrictions when your mates can eat anything and you are left out. You may be tempted to join in and then suffer in silence.

I am sure you're right about cross contamination in restaurants. There's not always so much understanding by chefs. I've seen a top restaurant owner acquaintance snort in derision at the idea of gluten free choices. He's old fashioned and unhappy that he has to accommodate what he sees as "fussy eaters". But some places are really fabulous and will make it clear that they have taken all precautions. I've found this abroad too as it's a worldwide problem now. Spanish supermarkets are stocked to the ceiling with GF options nowadays.

I can't believe it was what was wrong with me for years and I hate making a fuss but there's no option to be shy when ordering if you have something like this.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 09:23 PM

Sorry for your Grandson Arty, but as I said, the condition is not that common and it's just another example of society having to change for the minority.

Shouldn't the onus be on the sufferer though and not on the restaurant, as long as the restaurant warns any would be sufferers that gluten, nuts or dairy products may be present in their food that should be sufficient.

I am allergic to prawns, so I make sure that I don't eat anything containing them, I would consider it my fault if one crept under the net. If you can't swim, avoid going anywhere near water.....People should take responsibility for their own wellbeing.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top