Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 03:02 PM

Re: What do you think ?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Should he have gone to jail?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-woman.html
Difficult but what alternative was there?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 03:02 PM

The thing is, did the man's lawyer embellish the length and history of his medical problems to try and secure a suspended sentence?. Because if he did it backfired because the list of medical issues/problems his lawyer was ringing off proves the man should have never been driving in the first place.

If on the other hand it was just a simple case of the man getting confused and pressed the wrong pedals by mistake then his lawyer is the one to blame for putting him in jail because the judge would have heard the list of health issues the lawyer was trying to use to get his client a very lenient sentence based on his failing health but the Judge would have seen this as a reason for the man to have not been driving at all. Plus the fact he has shown no remorse and has not apologised to any of the families of the women he hit shows he just does not care about what he has done.

If his health issues were genuine then he should have never been behind the wheel of a car and thus i have no sympathy for the man BUT if his lawyer thought using the mans ill health as a way to avoid jail instead of using 'i'm old, i pressed the wrong pedals, i made an error of judgement' then yes the man got a harsh sentence because there have been many cases of the same happening with other old aged drivers and all they got was suspended sentences.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 06:37 PM

The partner of the woman:
'I was not expecting him to be jailed.

'It doesn't give me any pleasure, but it proves there is justice after all.

'I am a broken man since Jeanette was so violently and suddenly taken away.

'Of course, I feel strongly about the person who caused her death, but there are no winners in this situation. Today was about Jeanette.'
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
He may have died anyway, he was 87 and looked frail.
There is a problem with geriatric drivers that I see almost daily, including on my own street where they can barely reverse out of their drives.
They don't seem to realise they should not be driving.
Agree Xandra. My SIL's mother was a widow aged 80 and had been driving since the age of 18. But she ended up an absolute danger to herself and worse, others.
This is only a small town and she needed her car living on the outskirts in the countryside, but the moment she got into her car she drove at ridiculous speed, sometimes even ignoring or not noticing when traffic lights were changing to red as she approached, (putting the fear of God into any passenger sitting next to her).
She refused to believe them when they insisted she was no longer fit to drive, and in the end, they had to take her car keys by stealth and then inform her that they would no longer allow her to drive, and then immediately sold her car (in case she had a spare set of keys). They hated doing it to her as she was understandably upset, but she was an absolute danger to everyone.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You don’t have to subscribe to the DM Keyzoy .
It's possible that some news articles cannot be viewed in different parts of the world in the same way as some overseas sites are blocked to us.

I know Bruce has in the past posted links i couldn't open.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's possible that some news articles cannot be viewed in different parts of the world in the same way as some overseas sites are blocked to us.

I know Bruce has in the past posted links i couldn't open.
Use a VPN. Some are free, some cost a few quid, but most let you get around geographic limitations
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Use a VPN. Some are free, some cost a few quid, but most let you get around geographic limitations
I don't know what that is and seems a lot of hassle setting up work-arounds when it's possible to just C&P.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't know what that is and seems a lot of hassle setting up work-arounds when it's possible to just C&P.
Just googled "VPN". There's lots of examples, many free (advert funded) and a number of very clear instructions on how to use them (very simple) and clear explanations on why using a VPN is a very good idea. Very much nothing to do with C&P but all about access.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 06:32 PM

I have to say, l am very wary about clicking on links, that’s why l try to explain a little of the article on the thread.

I feel sorry for the man that he died in prison but it sounds like he had a very bad temper and maybe that didn’t help the situation on that day. He was probably being totally irrational, which resulted in a lady dying and the other having to cope with life changing injuries for the rest of her life.

...but then hindsight is a wonderful thing...
Tasha
UK
Tasha is female 

07-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Yes, of course he should have gone to jail - he was responsible for the woman's death and the other woman's injuries, no-one else. Age and bad temper are no excuse.

It sounds as though he shouldn't have been driving at all.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top