Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Football Hysteria and Jibbering Idiots

What is it about sport, or a stupid pastime like football that makes adults, particularly grown men, turn into infantile jibbering idiots?

This is nothing new of course, but I was unfortunate enough to catch some scenes on the news from the Euro Championships, and every time a "fan" was interviewed, of any nationality, those behind the interviewee just shouted and gesticulated like drunken demented neanderthals.

Why is this.....
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Re: Football Hysteria and Jibbering Idiots

I can`t understand why they react like that ,just make themselves look like idiots .To be perfectly honest I am sick to death of FOOTBALL ............
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 08:04 PM

I'm sick to death of it as well Silver Surfer - and the England v Sweden match has just started - that's football every night this week. If England don't win there will be a sulky miserable face and a bad temper at our house tonight. If might need to take the dog for a walk and keep out of the way.
I don't know what makes male football fans go daft like they do in front of a camera Barry - an excuse to act like a lout or a chance to get their fizzog on TV.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 07:39 AM

Barry, it is not jusst football fans who do this, whenever you see people being interviewed in public there is always some idiot who tries to get into the picture.
Anytime the crowd is shown on TV at any venue and the people in the shot see it they immediately act stupidly.

Mind you football does tend to bring out the worst in people.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 07:44 AM

Sorry - but football is just a pathetic small-minded little game for morons.

So England won yesterday.
Am I going to benefit from that?
Will I get a day off because of it?
Will I get some of my bills paid?
Will I get 'anything' as a consequence of their win?

No. Therefore, it means absolutly nothing to me at all.

Now why should I feel the urge to get drunk and punch someone over events which were completely out of my control and beyond any benefits to myself?

It's just a stupid meaningless and pointless game.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 03:45 PM

My husband is the sort of bloke who will watch (or when younger attempt to play) any team game or sport with a ball involved and I don't pretend to understand it. I just let him get on with it.
He did once try to explain it by telling me that when men play these sports, particularly team games, it is really an outlet males need - a substitute for going off to war and fighting. Apparently what they are trying to do is an annihilate an enemy. I said "well in that case why do they all hug each other and exchange shirts at the end of the game?"
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 05:30 PM

I have no objection to anyone enjoying whatever sport they like but I am sick to death of all this football rubbish. How on earth can anyone warrant being paid the obscene sums of money footballers get for kicking a ball up and down a field? However my biggest grump is why, when there are so many designated sports channels on TV do they have to disrupt all the normal programmes on BBC and ITV? Surely it isn't necessary and they really can't believe that everyone wants to watch the flipping footall.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 06:30 PM

I find it rather pathetic when anyone says about any sport in which they only spectate, that "We won this cup", or "We won that competition" etc., talk about glory by proxy.

Perhaps if they were to excel at something in their own lives then they wouldn't need to desperately crave the glory of others, and as for football that is purely a tribal ritual......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I have no objection to anyone enjoying whatever sport they like but I am sick to death of all this football rubbish. How on earth can anyone warrant being paid the obscene sums of money footballers get for kicking a ball up and down a field? However my biggest grump is why, when there are so many designated sports channels on TV do they have to disrupt all the normal programmes on BBC and ITV? Surely it isn't necessary and they really can't believe that everyone wants to watch the flipping footall.
Couldn't agree more!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 01:33 PM

Hockey fans can be just a bad here. And the rioting in Vancouver last year when they lost the Stanley Cup was a disgrace. Safer to watch a game on tv ... you never know what sort of behaviour can erupt in a crowd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top