Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 03:04 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by durk ->
G'day gentlemen - greetings from the land down under and the land of the great white cloud - a well known swagman mentioned your bar to me and suggested I have a lookie in - no broads?

talkin of which OZ is exportin thousands of 'virgin's right now fully kitted in smart aluring outfits - wot about that 'lingus' outfit ya got over there in Ireland any room there for a few?
Hello Durk and a very warm welcome to you.

We have a few Australians here already, and Ciderman from NZ, all nice friendly folk.

Feel free with any bits and pieces, poems and yarns you’d like to post, true of false who cares, anything except heavy politics, there’s plenty of sections for that as it is, suit of armour provided after your first political post there if your not a tory, believe me you’ll need it.
I love a quiet life and one of my personal rules is to leave the politicking to the politicians no matter what flag you wave.

We have a couple of lovely ladies who drop in from time to time, at their leisure that is, this thread is all about taking things easy and posting nothing in particular.

Aer Lingus just let go a couple of hundred cabin staff recently, who knows maybe they’ll make their way to an airport near you, blessed art thou amongst women, as the prayer says.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 03:16 PM

Mmm a newbie eh??

Me not silly.

Hi Guys, I am going to fly to Dublin real soon.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 03:34 PM

Sweetie, thought you would be like a caged Tiger, with all these restrictions going on.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sweetie, thought you would be like a caged Tiger, with all these restrictions going on.
I am pacing the floor. But staying positive all the same.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 10:22 PM

Two wheels on the wagon and we’re still scribbling along.

Talking about wagons.

In Dublin city in my youth to call a girl a “wagon” meant she’d been around the block a few times and was to be avoided. to call a fella a “Mickey dazzler” meant he was a snappy dresser and had been around a lot too, unfaithful type, also known as a bit of a “Bedswerver”
These names are very old and I never hear them used anymore, probably PC and all that, still they are part of our history like it or not.

There was one pub on the South side of the city that I remember, it was well known for picking up girls, it was nicknamed “The Wagon’s Welcome”, it’s long gone now, as is the old “Monto” red light district.
This bit from Wiki helps to explain Monto.

“Monto was the nickname for the one-time red light district in Dublin, Ireland. Monto was roughly the area bounded by Talbot Street, Amiens Street, Gardiner Street and Seán McDermott Street (formerly Gloucester Street) in what would now be called Summerhill. The name is derived from Montgomery Street (now called Foley Street), which runs parallel to the lower end of Talbot Street towards what is now Connolly Station.[1] Montgomery Street is believed to be named after Elizabeth Montgomery, who was married to Luke Gardiner, 1st Viscount Mountjoy.[2]
It was immortalised as "Nighttown" in the "Circe" chapter of James Joyce's famous work, Ulysses, where the central protagonists Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus together visit a brothel.[1]
In its heyday from the 1860s – 1920s, there were anything up to 1,600 prostitutes working there at any one time, with all classes of customers catered for. It was reputed to be the biggest red light district in Europe at the time. Its financial viability was aided by the number of British Army barracks and hence soldiers in the city, notably the Royal Barracks (later Collins Barracks and now one of the locations of Ireland's National Museum).[1]
The then Prince of Wales, Prince Albert Edward (later King Edward VII), according to popular legend, lost his virginity there. In the 1880s the Prince, accompanied by his wife Alexandra and their son Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence strolled unrecognised through the area, having slipped away from their bodyguards and walked through Dublin.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

01-07-2020, 09:51 PM

Well there’s a man I used to admire until I read this recently, John Wayne said this in a recently unearthed interview with Playboy magazine back in 1971 regarding Native Americans.

“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them.
there were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves”

What did you expect them to do John, just roll over and let you walk in and take it?

“Particularly, Wayne was unsparingly unsympathetic to the plight of real Native Americans (still termed “Indians” in the parlance of the times) who had been portrayed as adversaries in so many of his films, expressing his viewpoint that they deserved whatever misfortunes had befallen them, and that modern Americans bore no responsibility for addressing wrongs done to Native Americans by previous generations”

I never knew the man was so nasty, that’s him off my Christmas card list.

That reminded me of an old story I heard in the local many years ago.

There was a Native Nigerian and a Native American working on a building site in London, it was their first day on the job and it was a very hot. As they were shovelling out a foundation the Nigerian couldn’t get over the lovely bronze colour of the Native Americans skin, it glistened as the Sun shone down on his bare upper body.
Then the Nigerian asks a question.

“Say man, are you a red Indian? I mean a real red Indian?”
“Sure am” says the Native American”
“I can’t get over the bronze colour of your skin, it’s fantastic”
“Well I can’t help that” says the man, who’s getting annoyed with the Nigerian staring at him all the time and just wants to get on with his work
“My God man!” says the Nigerian “There’s not many of you guys left is there?”
“No, and there wouldn’t be many of you guys left if they had cowboys in Africa?

No doubt led by John Wayne, still I’m a bit stunned about his comments, I was a big fan of his even though he was a lousy actor, but I always thought he was a nice caring liberal sort of fella, considering he was married three times and divorced twice. His three wives, one of Spanish American descent, Josephine Alicia Saenz, and two of Hispanic descent.

Who knows, maybe the 7th Cavalry will turn up just in time to save his statue, led by old yellow hair himself, no not General Custer, but that top Whitehouse basement inspector and Lord protector of statues—- Donald Trump.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

03-07-2020, 08:00 PM

I discovered this bit of news on the net, something that I never knew about.

“More than 170 years ago, the Choctaw Nation sent $170 to starving Irish families during the potato famine. A sculpture in County Cork commemorates the generosity of the tribe, itself poor. In recent decades, ties between Ireland and the Choctaws have grown.
Now hundreds of Irish people are repaying that old kindness, giving to a charity drive for two Native American tribes suffering in the Covid-19 pandemic. As of Tuesday, the fund-raiser has raised more than $1.8 million to help supply clean water, food and health supplies to people in the Navajo Nation and the Hopi Reservation, with hundreds of thousands of dollars coming from Irish donors, according to the organizers.
Many donors cited the generosity of the Choctaws, noting that the gift came not long after the United States government forcibly relocated the tribe and several other American Indian groups from the Southeastern United States, a march across thousands of miles known as the Trail of Tears that left thousands of people dead along the way.
“I’d already known what the Choctaw did in the famine, so short a time after they’d been through the Trail of Tears,” Sean Callahan, 43, an Apple administrator in Cork City who made a donation, said on Tuesday. “It always struck me for its kindness and generosity and I see that too in the Irish people. It seemed the right time to try and pay it back in kind.”

Well said Sean.

‘Kindred Spirits’ Monument, Bailic Park, Midleton, Co Cork

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-07-2020, 09:52 PM

The old mutton and lamb thing again.
(I wonder do vegetarians say “An Onion dressed as a Scallion”?)

I saw an old lady on a TV documentary recently, it was all about very old wealthy people trying to look young and this woman must have been 90 or more, she was being interviewed outside her huge mansion in Florida sitting in a lavishly cushioned armchair Barbara Cartland style.

She was dressed as a youngster, she really looked silly in her outfit which included a short red skirt well above the knee, a denim waistcoat, and a screaming yellow top, she had long blonde thin hair, you know, weak and delicate looking, every now and then long wisps of it would reach out in the slight breeze as if trying to grasp an imaginary bamboo runner bean stick for support, her face was plastered with make up, she had bright scarlet lipstick on and over her upper lip were those deep vertical parallel lines that you could almost plant potatoes in, her legs were very skinny and looked like two straws hanging from a pigeon loft.

She repeated several times during the interview that “Age is all in the mind”, honestly some old birds will never admit their age and just won’t accept that their goose is cooked.

Now I realise it’s every woman’s privilege to dress how they like whatever their age and good luck to them, but I would sooner look at and feel more at ease talking with older women who looked natural for their age and were relaxed and comfortable within themselves, she certainly didn’t look comfortable nor natural.

If age was all in the mind then only the mind would bear the blunt of time, unfortunately time ravages the whole body.
Those in denial will suffer the onset of old age both mentally and physically, and the body, no matter how much you pamper paint and plaster it, will still fall apart, those who accept they are old are far freer and happier people for it, in my experience with folks that is.

While watching the interview I kept thinking of the end bit in that film “Death becomes her”

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-07-2020, 09:34 PM

In the interest of equality some men are no better.

Some forget that gone are the days of “Sex, drugs, and rock ’n’ roll”, now its all “Wreaks, prescription drugs, and rock ’n’ chairs”.

Here’s best mates Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman looking natural while taking a breather from another of their ‘final’ outdoor concerts, my son calls them “The Rolling Bones”

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 07:27 AM

Simple Simon met a Pieman
Going to the fair
Said Simple Simon to the Pieman
“Your Pies are round not square”

Says the Pieman to Simple Simon
“whats that t’do with the price of fish”
Says Simple Simon to the Pieman
“Round pies don’t fit square dish”

“You trying to Haggle with Me?”
“What will be, will be”

“Can I see your credentials”
“Private are my fundamentals”

Says the Pieman To Simple Simon
“Can you Fund a Pie”
“No” Says Simon to the Pieman
“Your price is Pie in the Sky High”

“You devious little Phucker”
Says Astute Simon to the Pieman
“You can stuff your Pies up your arse”
“I’m Off to buy a Pukka”

© Spitty circa 2020

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top