Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 08:18 PM

Why do people buy these dogs ?

A the risk of offending those who own one of these poor unfortunates I want to know why people buy these dogs .
Pugs bull dogs and others that suffer so much .
Its cruelty .

https://guff.com/this-is-why-you-sho...ng-to-top-vets
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 08:31 PM

Re: Why do people buy these dogs ?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I want to know why people buy these dogs .
Because so many humans are ignorant followers of trends who want to be seen as 'trendy' themselves.

The front of camera idiots (I refuse to call them celebrities ) encourage this by constantly trying to get into the headlines.

It's 2020 very few people really want a dog, what they want is for someone to liken them to someone in the headlines who has the same type of dog. Just look at that drug addict and tax avoider who was involved with some illegal dog imporation in Australia and currently in some legal battle in the high court.

Muddy it's a mad world we live in, I don't like it, but I am powerless to make these imbeciles get some brains and sense, and as you say it's these poor dogs who suffer
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 08:44 PM

I wouldn't have a pedigree even if I could afford it.
Dolly is a cross breed of chihuahua and shitzu, she has a pronounced lower jaw which makes her look odd. I can only imagine what her parents were like.
She needed a home urgently and is lovely.

I had two shitzus in S. Africa which were a vanity purchase by a friend, I took them over. One was blind and deaf, possibly because of breeding.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 09:46 PM

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy a dog at all given that there are so many in need of homes.

That aside, I am in complete agreement with you, Muddy. I rescued a severely neglected miniature beagle years ago. He was adorable, but the cost was that he, and likely dozens like him, suffered a lifetime of hip and joint problems and pain.

If a breeder wants a pass from me, he/she would need a veterinary license with extensive coursework in genetics to prove a full understanding of the consequences of haphazard trait shaping, and fees so high that it would have to truly be a passion - and not a for-profit enterprise. (Don't even get me started on trait culling ...)

I'll take my motley crew of mutts any day of the week. It takes one to love one, I suppose! .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 10:25 PM

You ask "Why do people buy these dogs"?

Probably best ask them, but my guess is because they can't be bothered to do any research about their needs and health problems first!

They probably have seen other people with them, or seen the 'cute' pictures the sellers of litters put up to entice buyers, so decide they must have one without having a clue about the health and limited life of the dog.
I would imagine any pet insurance would be sky high for these dogs.

The other people who want them is those unscrupulous people who just intend to breed with them, knowing what ridiculous prices they can fetch.

The poor old Bulldogs can't usually even whelp on their own, and most have to have Caesareans. This is because the breed has huge wide heads which cannot come naturally through the mother's fairly narrow pelvis.

I blame the KC Breed Standards set, the breed Judges who give bad, unhealthy examples nice red rosettes and prestige, and the idiots who buy on a whim without learning about the breed first.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Probably best ask them, but my guess is because they can't be bothered to do any research about their needs and health problems first!

They probably have seen other people with them, or seen the 'cute' pictures the sellers of litters put up to entice buyers, so decide they must have one without having a clue about the health and limited life of the dog.

The other people who want them is those unscrupulous people who just intend to breed with them, knowing what ridiculous prices they can fetch.

The poor old Bulldogs can't usually even whelp on their own, and most have to have Caesareans. This is because the breed has huge wide heads which cannot come naturally through the mother's fairly narrow pelvis.

I blame the KC Breed Standards set, the breed Judges who give bad, unhealthy examples nice red rosettes and prestige, and the idiots who buy on a whim without learning about the breed first.
Heart-wrenching. I had no idea. Thank you for the education on this, Mups.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 03:43 AM

I love dogs. I have had many. I can't get started on all the ways people mistreat them - or mis breed them. LOng story short, treat them they way they deserve to be treated. Like the beautiful gift they are. They will love you and they will die protecting you if they have to.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy a dog at all given that there are so many in need of homes.

That aside, I am in complete agreement with you, Muddy. I rescued a severely neglected miniature beagle years ago. He was adorable, but the cost was that he, and likely dozens like him, suffered a lifetime of hip and joint problems and pain.

If a breeder wants a pass from me, he/she would need a veterinary license with extensive coursework in genetics to prove a full understanding of the consequences of haphazard trait shaping, and fees so high that it would have to truly be a passion - and not a for-profit enterprise. (Don't even get me started on trait culling ...)

I'll take my motley crew of mutts any day of the week. It takes one to love one, I suppose! .
I have never bought a dog SM I have always had rescues or other peoples cast offs.
Once a few years back I wanted a pup and having failed to get one from a shelter ( don’t ask- too many neurotic gate keepers) I put a deposit on a pup. It was never the right thing to do and I retracted ( lost the deposit) and later got my dog Mungo from a border collie rescue .
I paid £200 adoption fee for this lovely dog.
Why anyone would want a dog so deformed and suffering is beyond me.
Why we allow dogs to be imported form Eastern Europe is another question the stumps me too .
There should be IMO much greater strictures on breeding dogs .
Honestly I would like to see breeds like the pug phased out .
The bull dog in it’s present form is a travesty of the dog it once was . Today’s bulldog can barely make it to the sofa much less fight a bull.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/pets/new...top-suffering/

The kennel club is a absolute disgrace for even allowing such dogs in shows.
The Dutch kennel club has already banned them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-bulldog.html

It’s about time vets spoke out too loudly and strongly .
Although these animals must constitute a large part of their income so I supose they don’t want to shoot themselves in the foot .
As for money the prices people pay for dogs astounds me .
Where do they get the money ?
If you have that much money to throw away give it to a dog charity instead of wasting it on a poor freak that would not last a minute in nature and will have a terrible life .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

13-08-2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I didn’t know this either Mups .
Poor things and bull dogs have such sweet natures too.
We once looked after this little bulldog .
It lived indoors and the owner always left its food sack open so it could help itself to food .
At the time I had two large dogs one a Rottweiler that would eat anything .
So I was concerned about Rosie ( the bulldogs ) food getting scoffed .
No worries even my ever hungry Rottie took a quick try at rosies ghastly Chou and left it !
Meanwhile Rosie looked on enviously at my dogs eating their liver and rice and enjoying raw bones .
So despite the fact she had terrible crooked teeth we gave her one and how she loved it .
We gave her decent food too and let her play in the garden with the other dogs.
After two weeks the owners returned .
After a few days they asked ‘what had we done with her ‘ Rosie alas was pining for us and refusing her food .
I felt so sorry .
Poor little thing.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
A the risk of offending those who own one of these poor unfortunates I want to know why people buy these dogs .
Pugs bull dogs and others that suffer so much .
Its cruelty .

https://guff.com/this-is-why-you-sho...ng-to-top-vets
Totally agree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top