Join for free
Page 9 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 06:51 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Test and Trace App.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've got nothing to download it on to....
Not even going to try on my phone There was a time when I would pay to keep up with technology but now I don't need all these new features so why pay for them
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Not even going to try on my phone There was a time when I would pay to keep up with technology but now I don't need all these new features so why pay for them
I don't have a smartphone, it's not the cost, it's just I don't need one, I don't make phone calls, I'm not enthusiastic enough to want to carry one so I can check the latest tweets or what-have-you on the move. I like tech and have a good understanding of how it all works but in my old age I prefer to leave it all at home. Camera's all I need.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Singapore has a good idea for oldies without smartphones - they're given a dongle to hang round their neck (or put in a pocket) to perform track'n'trace functions .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't have a smartphone, it's not the cost, it's just I don't need one, I don't make phone calls, I'm not enthusiastic enough to want to carry one so I can check the latest tweets or what-have-you on the move. I like tech and have a good understanding of how it all works but in my old age I prefer to leave it all at home. Camera's all I need.
Yep same here. Everything I need to do on the internet can be done at home on this laptop where the keys are big enough to stop me fumbling around on a touch screen or a postage stamp keypad....I prefer to keep my faculties about me while out, without distraction, and like you d00d, a camera is all the equipment I need. Oh! and a mask so I can call in the shop for a cuppa or mars bar....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 04:12 AM

Hi

The App is very useful in Contact Tracing.

It does however have faults.

I have had 4 Covid Tests, all negative.

I will have another one next Wednesday, when I am in hospital for a few hours, possibly overnight.

The App will kick off then, simply due to proximity, even though I am in a secure environment.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2020, 12:43 PM

Coronavirus: Your questions answered on new contact-tracing app

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...g-app-12080810

As of Thursday evening, it had been downloaded more than one million times by Android users, according to the Google Play Store.

The total figure is likely to be higher when iPhone downloads are included, but Apple does not provide similar figures for app downloads.
Lots of good advice, including:

At work I put my phone in a locker - I don't want to be told to isolate just because the guy with the locker next door has a positive test

If you're in this situation, there's a switch on the app to turn it off*. Of course there are always times where it won't work perfectly.

If you leave your phone in your jacket and someone else sits next to it, that might trigger the app. This is technology, not magic - but as most of us are pretty attached to our phones it should be okay.
* If contact-tracing is switched OFF, the app will ask if a reminder is required:

• In 4 Hours
  • In 8 Hours
  • In 12 Hours
  • Never
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

26-09-2020, 12:13 PM

NHS Covid-19: App users unable to input negative tests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54307526

People who test negative for Covid-19 are unable to share the result with the new NHS app for England and Wales if they did not book the test through the app in the first place.

The app asks for a code to register a test result but a code is only received if the test is positive. Those who enter that they have symptoms without entering a result find a self-isolation countdown begins.

The Department for Health and Social Care said the app would be updated.

According to the data analyst App Annie the NHS Covid-19 app has been downloaded around 4m times so far.
3 - 2 - 1 .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

28-09-2020, 03:50 PM

NHS Covid-19 app: 12m downloads - and lots of questions

Rory Cellan-Jones & Zoe Kleinman

The app itself may look simple, but it has thrown up lots of questions about how it works and what its limits are.

Here's our attempt to answer some of your queries:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54326267

WOW - that is an impressive number of downloads .....

Eaxample FAQ:

I get notifications which then disappear - what's going on?

A number of people have reported getting notifications about exposure to the virus and then not being able to find out what they need to do next.

Some are confused because of the way they are written - including the phrase "exposure date, duration and signal strength have been saved".

It appears that this again may be connected to the Apple-Google system, which sometimes sends out what are called exposure notifications. Here's what the FAQ from the app team says about this issue:

"These are default messages from Apple and Google. There is no need to be concerned if you miss or overlook them, they are just visible to remind you that the functionality is on and working. You're currently not able to turn off these default Apple and Google notifications.Important messages from the NHS Covid-19 app will always be visible to you from inside the app."
I've not had that come up yet, but it would have been unsettling .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Schools tell teachers not to use NHS Covid app

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54460270

The NHS Covid-19 app for England and Wales has more than 16,000,000 downloads so far - but a range of employers are actively discouraging their staff from using it.

Earlier this week, both the pharmaceuticals company GlaxoSmithKline and a Hull-based fuel supplier told staff the app should be switched off at work - both said it was unnecessary in their "Covid-secure" workplaces.

And now, there are numerous reports teachers are being told they should not use the app in school.

A teacher in north-west England, who wants to remain anonymous, downloaded the app on the day it was released and then, last Monday, tested positive for coronavirus. It then triggered alerts telling three colleagues at the school to go into isolation.

But, according to the teacher, the secondary school's business manager told the three people involved to ignore the messages and delete the app if they felt they had not been within 2m (6ft) for at least 15 minutes.

"Too many schools want to keep staff in, even if it means breaking the law," the anonymous teacher said.
AFAIK, ignoring the messages is NOT illegal but, of course, it's not very sensible, either .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

13-10-2020, 01:08 PM

NHS app updated to 'fix' phantom messages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54522438

The NHS Covid-19 app has been updated to fix an issue with confusing alerts that pop up suggesting exposure to the virus and then disappear. The alerts will still appear, but now a follow-up message from the government will tell people to ignore them.

The team behind the app, which has been downloaded more than 16 million times, is working on a more substantial update which will involve moving to version two of the Apple-Google framework.

This could stop the confusing notifications appearing altogether but will also improve the way the app uses Bluetooth to measure distance between two phones.
So .... not really a fix (yet) .....

Page 9 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top