Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:58 PM

Terms of Endearment!

You not mind familiarity, or do you object?

Greeting such as 'Hello my lover.

Hello Ducks!

Hi, Chucks!

Hi You old F.......!! [Very familiar]

Hi. My Old Mocker

Hi My Old Cock

When strange Tradesmen say 'Hello my Lover' I reply, It's Mrs to you. So they then say' Hello Mrs, My lover!

You can't win
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:14 PM

Re: Terms of Endearment!

On the whole, I don't mind terms of endearment, although I suppose it can depend a little on how it's said and by who.

Round here, most people say ' m'duck' or somtimes ' luv' and very occasionally 'dear' or 'darlin.'

I don't mind any of those at all, as it is always said innocently, not in a leary way.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:20 PM

The dustman called me young lady once !
I forgot to put my wheelie out and had to flag them down to empty the bin .
Otherwise people aren’t too chummy around here .
I tend to call people dear ( if they are younger than me - quite a lot nowadays )
Mr M calls me babe.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:31 PM

As long as they don’t call me..’Luv’, ’Tweacle’ or ‘Hun/ Honey’.
That’s ‘cringeville’!!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
On the whole, I don't mind terms of endearment, although I suppose it can depend a little on how it's said and by who.

Round here, most people say ' m'duck' or somtimes ' luv' and very occasionally 'dear' or 'darlin.'

I don't mind any of those at all, as it is always said innocently, not in a leary way.
I would go along with that, Mups. One of my friends is married to a geordie and he sometimes refers to me as pet or hinny.

Paternal grandparents used m'duck

Maternal grandparents mostly used asthore - Irish for 'treasure', or occasionally 'pet lamb'.

In my late teens I was engaged to a Canadian - and he used 'baby' or 'honey' until I had him house trained! I loathe both of those!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:00 AM

I was friendly with a man, who called me his, ‘Bonny Lass’.
I could accept that as he was a lovely man.

So maybe, you can accept some endearments, depending on, who says them?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
As long as they don’t call me..’Luv’, ’Tweacle’ or ‘Hun/ Honey’.
That’s ‘cringeville’!!!
You wouldn't last five minutes up here, everyone is called love.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:19 AM

Depends who's saying it I guess. I don't think about it if some of the older ladies at the local stores say things like.."Anything else sweetie?/ darl/ lovey" etc. You never hear it from a young woman. Same with "Champ".."Mate"..."Sport" etc from older men. The only one I can ever remember really irritating me is the way some of the Northern English say "pet"....That really grates.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:32 AM

I like them privately, even better intimately .

However, I cringe when younger people refer to their elders using terms of endearment.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 08:11 AM

It can be a regional thing. Those terms aren't likely to be taken amiss by those born and raised in an area where they are used as part of normal conversation.

However, if someone from the north or west moves to the mid-south, where no terms like that are used, they could thought too familiar and upset some people.

People moving from the mid-south to the north or west might be thought standoffish because they don't use or respond well to the terms.

Not me I might add. 'Luv - My lovely - Lad' is fine. I'm not even going to mind all that much if someone calls me Martin during a telephone conversation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top