Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 02:39 PM

Another Scam

I've just had a phone call from a man with an Indian accent
Well perhaps this is unfair, but that made me a bit suspicious for a start

He said it was to confirm that I have been charged £79-99 for a year's subscription to Amazon Prime, and that if I wished to cancel it, I should dial 1

That also made me suspicious as I did pay into Amazon Prime by mistake, months & months ago,which I cancelled, and since then I've always been careful to understand and find my way round their fine print and doublespeak, but I thought that perhaps I've slipped up
I also remember it was a monthly payment, but thought Oh well, perhaps they've changed it

So I dialled 1 and he asked if I had a laptop or a smartphone
I replied 'No, but I have a PC'
He didn't seem to understand this, and asked again if I had a laptop or a smartphone

Then I twigged - of course they must know I have some sort of computer, how else would I buy stuff from them?
And they keep sending me their junk emails to my computer

I thought - I'll bet the next thing will be for them to say they'll email me a claim form, which will ask for my card details so they can refund me

So I just said 'goodbye' and hung up

I must admit that I'm by no means an expert with computers or online shopping, but I like to think that I'm aware of scams - I really should have twigged on the first message that Amazon would only contact me by email
It just goes to show how you have to be sharp and on the ball about these things

Incidentally, I dialled 1471 and the number was

As with most of these scams, the trick is to make it just about plausible
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 02:50 PM

Re: Another Scam

Thanks for the info Zuludog. BTW, the international dialling code 0045 is assigned to Denmark.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I've just had a phone call from a man with an Indian accent
Well perhaps this is unfair, but that made me a bit suspicious for a start

He said it was to confirm that I have been charged £79-99 for a year's subscription to Amazon Prime, and that if I wished to cancel it, I should dial 1

That also made me suspicious as I did pay into Amazon Prime by mistake, months & months ago,which I cancelled, and since then I've always been careful to understand and find my way round their fine print and doublespeak, but I thought that perhaps I've slipped up
I also remember it was a monthly payment, but thought Oh well, perhaps they've changed it

So I dialled 1 and he asked if I had a laptop or a smartphone
I replied 'No, but I have a PC'
He didn't seem to understand this, and asked again if I had a laptop or a smartphone

Then I twigged - of course they must know I have some sort of computer, how else would I buy stuff from them?
And they keep sending me their junk emails to my computer

I thought - I'll bet the next thing will be for them to say they'll email me a claim form, which will ask for my card details so they can refund me

So I just said 'goodbye' and hung up

I must admit that I'm by no means an expert with computers or online shopping, but I like to think that I'm aware of scams - I really should have twigged on the first message that Amazon would only contact me by email
It just goes to show how you have to be sharp and on the ball about these things

Incidentally, I dialled 1471 and the number was
Yes I had that one too.
I contacted amazon on their help line they immediately said it was a scam.and give me a link to report it to the police.
The police report u fortunately was practically impossible to complete.no wonder people give up.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 03:51 PM

Oh yes, I forgot to mention-

After I dialled I there was no delay or any of the other electronic noises or Muzak you often get when you're transferred around a call centre
Neither did I get another person, and it wasn't a young lady either; the same voice answered
Again I was a bit suspicious but by then he'd started talking

Only then did I fully realise
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 07:05 PM

Thanks Zuludog, they don't give up, do they
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I contacted amazon on their help line
What is the number of their 'helpline' I have tried to find a telephone number when my wife enrolled for Amazon Prime by mistake (due to their devious trick of offering 'free delivery') and enrolling you in a service which I found extremely difficult to get out of and could not speak on the phone to anyone at Amazon.

Please give us the number it will be very useful in the future, thanks.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top