Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 07:18 AM

Re: Why the EU call us Treasure Island

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In your list I miss one item regarding the EU. It is an important reason why we hate to see the UK leave, and it has nothing to do with money.
In the EU we are small players, but we, on some subjects, know we are the wisest. When the big boys don't want to see our way, we tell them: just you wait, we'll make a phonecall to London. And soon the other players start seeing things our way.
If the UK leaves, that option disappears. You don't know the half of the importance of this diplomatic route.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here Solasch, are you saying that the UK was one of the strongest members in the EU?
If you are, I am wondering why the small players of the EU haven't supported the UK so well in the past.
I wonder how much damage accepting the euro, as their currency did?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here Solasch, are you saying that the UK was one of the strongest members in the EU?
If you are, I am wondering why the small players of the EU haven't supported the UK so well in the past.
I wonder how much damage accepting the euro, as their currency did?
Yes, that is what I am saying. Despite the loss of face due to the brexit scenario, it still holds true.
As to support. The UK has the most opt-outs of all EU members. After demanding an opt-out it has to be granted (similar to extensions to article 50). The members take a vote about granting opt outs. You don't think the other large players are in favour of your opt outs? Getting a majority on these vote depended on the small players.

Euro? In 2002 I paid fl. 1,- for a loaf of bread. Now I pay €1,-. That is 220% of what I paid 17 years ago. I don't know what you paid in 2002, but is it 2.2 times as much nowadays?

A quote:
https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-...d-uk-opt-outs/

For both countries, this means monetary policy remains a domestic issue.

When the financial crisis broke out in 2008, this allowed the UK to introduce quantitative easing much earlier than the the eurozone. Britain is also allowed to run a much higher budget deficit than other member states, as it not subject to the Stability and Growth Pact, which caps public deficits at 3% of GDP.

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair was interested in joining the euro when he first came to power in 1997. But it failed the five economic tests to prove it was in the national interest as laid out by the then-Chancellor of the Exchequer, Gordon Brown.

While none of the major political parties currently want to join the euro, being out also has its downsides.

This became particularly obvious during the eurozone debt crisis, when leaders of countries using the single currency held regular meetings between themselves, leaving Britain outside of the room.

This fuelled concern in Britain that eurozone members would club together and skew the EU single market to their advantage, leaving the UK missing out on the benefits of what it regards as the most important aspect of EU membership.

Yet, this isolationism is also largely self-inflicted. On monetary matters, the UK is unbound by decisions made the European Central Bank or the European System of Central Banks. In return, the UK’s voting rights in the European Council are suspended for issues relating to eurozone matters.

Specifically, the UK has no say over the fixing of exchange rates, as countries join the euro. It also has no say on the appointment of the six executive members of the ECB board, including the president and vice-president.

Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Yes, that is what I am saying. Despite the loss of face due to the brexit scenario, it still holds true.
As to support. The UK has the most opt-outs of all EU members. After demanding an opt-out it has to be granted (similar to extensions to article 50). The members take a vote about granting opt outs. You don't think the other large players are in favour of your opt outs? Getting a majority on these vote depended on the small players.

Euro? In 2002 I paid fl. 1,- for a loaf of bread. Now I pay €1,-. That is 220% of what I paid 17 years ago. I don't know what you paid in 2002, but is it 2.2 times as much nowadays?

A quote:
https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-...d-uk-opt-outs/

For both countries, this means monetary policy remains a domestic issue.

When the financial crisis broke out in 2008, this allowed the UK to introduce quantitative easing much earlier than the the eurozone. Britain is also allowed to run a much higher budget deficit than other member states, as it not subject to the Stability and Growth Pact, which caps public deficits at 3% of GDP.

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair was interested in joining the euro when he first came to power in 1997. But it failed the five economic tests to prove it was in the national interest as laid out by the then-Chancellor of the Exchequer, Gordon Brown.

While none of the major political parties currently want to join the euro, being out also has its downsides.

This became particularly obvious during the eurozone debt crisis, when leaders of countries using the single currency held regular meetings between themselves, leaving Britain outside of the room.

This fuelled concern in Britain that eurozone members would club together and skew the EU single market to their advantage, leaving the UK missing out on the benefits of what it regards as the most important aspect of EU membership.

Yet, this isolationism is also largely self-inflicted. On monetary matters, the UK is unbound by decisions made the European Central Bank or the European System of Central Banks. In return, the UK’s voting rights in the European Council are suspended for issues relating to eurozone matters.

Specifically, the UK has no say over the fixing of exchange rates, as countries join the euro. It also has no say on the appointment of the six executive members of the ECB board, including the president and vice-president.

Why on earth do we want to fix an exchange rate ?

Look what happens when we do ... it's a clue to why the Euro is a complete disaster. Its a fixed exchange rate across the Eurozone.......
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Exactly what I was about to say LD.
Imagine if we were Luxembourg or Latvia instead. Nobody would give a toss about us would they. What do they have to offer?
Our knowledge of trade deals and generally everything else is world class. Except for our expertise in running a country and making decisions politically is concerned - that is terrible.
You’re got to be kidding!

We have almost no experts in trade deals which is why arch Brexiteer Liam Fox utterly failed in securing post Brexit commitments from the rest of the world and the EU’s negotiators wiped the floor with us

Leaving without a deal woul leave us at the mercy of the wolves
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
You’re got to be kidding!

We have almost no experts in trade deals which is why arch Brexiteer Liam Fox utterly failed in securing post Brexit commitments from the rest of the world and the EU’s negotiators wiped the floor with us

Leaving without a deal woul leave us at the mercy of the wolves
We have 164 trade deals under WTO rules.

Just saying ...
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We have 164 trade deals under WTO rules.

Just saying ...
And what does that have to do with our so called experienced negotiators other than they were unable to secure any commitments to all those free trade deals promised by the the leave campaign
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-05-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
And what does that have to do with our so called experienced negotiators other than they were unable to secure any commitments to all those free trade deals promised by the the leave campaign
We cannot negotiate any trade deals while we are a member state. If you still don't understand these basic facts about EU membership, you have even bigger problems than I thought.

Read that ^^^

then try and understand that.

Who are you going to vote for ? Thats the 6th time I've asked.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top