Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 09:59 PM

Re: Is America right to fear Huawei?.....

Maybe silencing the White Noise is an unintentional benefit of this political stand off.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I hate China because I was there in November. There are literally zillions of them and they all behave like programmed robots. They can build cities in weeks and their roads are ten lanes wide - you can just imagine the missiles and little yellow soldiers marching along. They appear to have no feelings........like the pretty young tour rep who explained she'd been born during the one child period..........but her mother really really wanted another child and when she became pregnant she waited, expecting the policy to change to two children, so she didn't self abort until she was over 8 months pregnant. The child was male and was born alive and took time to die. "And that.........would have been my brother" said the pretty young tour guide smiling who then went on to explain that her mother (who was still in the uncivilised village she grew up in and hated), had mental health issues.

Putin and the Chinese have been hand in glove for a long long time and they are clearly working together. I don't trust Trump either. BUT that works both ways. If he says he'll retaliate - China and Russia HAVE to consider that he WILL DO what he says. No other leader in the western world would be taken as seriously, because no other leader is as unstable as Trump!
Let me put this another way.............Hitler invaded Poland in 1939. If Britain and France had NOT declared war - what do you think would have happened? You'd be happy to witness all that ethnic cleansing and be a good Fraulein and used and abused by the Germans and Russians? Would you be happy to do that and see your family forced to do that too or be shot? Really?
The world of eighty odd years ago was totally different from what it is today and very different forces are at work. What's more the UK eighty odd years ago is very different from the UK of today.

As for the rest --- well I'm just not going to comment for reasons that you may or not be aware of.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Arena ->
The US has been feeding us this kind of bullshi* for years 'The yellow peril', 'Reds', 'weapons of mass destruction' etc. But still some mugs believe them.

I agree in that we have just as much to fear from those we see as friends as those we see as foes. Because of China we have had cheap and plentiful goods here for decades. I don't know much about the current Chinese government or how Huawei differs from the social media watching and listening to our conversations already.

Politics aside all the Chinese people I have ever known have been nice to have around. They are hardworking, polite and friendly. I can understand political differences but really don't understand how anyone can have a problem with individuals of Chinese descent or origin. They are just trying to get through life on this crazy planet like the rest of us!

I don't see how China could have more intelligence from a commercial venture than they have already from all the other commercial ventures we jointly undertake. We watch them they watch us, it's the same all over the world.

It does feel as though whatever sensible people were pulling strings so that the world got on and people just lived without all this nonsense seem to have disappeared, retired, died whatever. We seem to be living in a car crash at the moment.

China and the US just happen to be the two big players right now but I don't see Russia being out of the game. I'm far more worried about their influence. We are also highly influential and I can't see us retreating from a high profile role in world politics. Therefore we end up getting a share of the consequences.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:20 PM

Progress continues to bring more and more problems. Why do we need 5G anyway ? Press button B and get our money back .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:33 PM

Divans should have seen the end of reds under the bed, (and other colours) plus a bit of extra storage for the Data
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Progress continues to bring more and more problems. Why do we need 5G anyway ? Press button B and get our money back .
There's a great deal more that is carried over the internet than VoIP and industrial data.

High bit rates really are essential and provide solutions that have not even been recognised as being needs.

I'm reminded of when lasers first hit the scene and during a lecture given by Charles Kao someone (not me!) asked apart from driving fibre and cutting razor blades* what real use lasers had.

Kao replied that right then they were solutions searching for problems to solve. How right he was.

As an aside - I recall that in the early years of laser output power was measured in "Gillettes". Although I can't remember the precise definition it involved the length of time it took the beam to penetrate a Gillette razor blade! Good days!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:56 PM

There is no doubt that it is all wonderful stuff, to be enjoyed by an ever increasing world population, and it will continue into the realms of insanity as scientists will always crave for more, i.e. until we blow ourselves up.

Are we happier for it ? I doubt very much.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 11:29 PM

We had a long thread on this topic a while back. My understanding is that it is necessary because we need more capacity to run the existing networks given the level of demand we expect as usage expands. The existing structure will at some point fall over. I seem to recall there are similar problems with the national grid.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-07-2020, 11:31 PM

There is no doubt that it is all wonderful stuff, to be enjoyed by an ever increasing world population, and it will continue into the realms of insanity as scientists will always crave for more, i.e. until we blow ourselves up.

Are we happier for it ? I doubt very much.
It certainly feels as though we are painting ourselves into a virtual corner. I've always seen the reliance we have on such complex technology which requires strong global cooperation to be a major risk. I mean, it's not like we have a back up plan....
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 11:33 PM

I am quite prepared for and indeed expect Art to vigorously disagree as is his right of course but...What was once a suspicion and an ominous gut feeling about Xi and his mob has become a sense of very clear and present danger. Despite the endless things we complain about, We are very very lucky here - all of us - meaning you in the UK, us here in Australia and New Zealand, Canada and western Europe etc. We are lucky because we have the luxury of, regardless of our view, being able to complain. Being allowed to complain without fear of [ immediate] retribution or "correction" We are lucky because regardless of our prejudices, racial, religious or any other - we are allowed to have them. Sure we have the pressure of political correctness and the cancel culture but ask yourself..ARe you really that restricted?..People pretty much say what they like here. China may be watching or listening but at least you can say it. Everybody has a platform. You also have the luxury of being allowed to ignore sh*t you don't want to .ear. YOu can say you love Boris or that he's a numpty ( Learned that word here..I love it?) IN China?...well all I can say is they (the 1.5 billion) can have it. What a monumentally horrible place it looks. So Art I have to say - with the usual respect - that I couldn't possibly disagree with you more mate. THere is NEVER a situation where you can do nothing. I sure ain't going there. THere is always the opportunity of fighting to the death for what you believe in isn't there? What's the point of living anyway if that life is worse than death?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top