Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 07:12 AM

Re: Would you bow/curtesy?

I was a little girl of about 7 , we lived on an RAF base , possibly RAF Lynham , Princess Margaret was due to pass at the bottom of our road, for hours I practised my curtsy , I put on my prettiest dress so excited to see a beautiful princess in her glory, I waited and waited with butterflys in my tummy and there she was in a beautiful car just about to pass , I curtsied my bestest curtsy with joy in my heart knowing she would be so proud of this little girl who was beaming

Until I realised she passed me by without a glance , without a smile or a moments glance, I was devastated .

Never since have I bowed or cursied to anyone .

Funny how some memories stay in your mind
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 08:29 AM

I don,t think I would bow to anyone. After all they are just human beings as we all are. I would greet them the same way as I would greet anyone else, a shake of the hand, a smile and a "Pleased to meet you".
I will however kneel when I get the tap on the shoulder with a sword and hear the words "Arise Sir Fred"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 08:54 AM

I doubt I would ever find myself in the situation where I needed to bow or curtsy. If the Queen knocked on my door, I wouldn't answer.

(Apart from Lion Queen of course - LQ would get a cuppa and a biscuit).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Even easier in India. Just put the hands together briefly, like praying.
Namaste !
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 10:22 AM

I don't think I'm ever likely to meet the Queen but if I do I shall be able to curtsey to perfection!

As a part of our warm-up at the Keep Fit sessions that I attend every week we do curtseying - it's supposed to help loosen tight muscles (or something!). Mind you it must look a sight to any outsider seeing 12 ladies and 3 gentlemen, all of a certain age, curtseying ... (And yes the gentlemen do it too!!)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 10:31 AM

It's nice in dancing ie Scottish dancing or here as demonstrated beautifully

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Never met the Queen and I am never likely to. But if I did I guess I'd just go through the motions and give a bit of a bow or low nod of the head. Her position as Queen of England means nothing to me. BUt as Queen of Australia, which she is, would be enough for me to comply with protocol. No biggie either way. But I would never bow to any of the others including Duke Philip. They would be given the same base line respect I would give to anybody when I met them. NOthing more.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's nice in dancing ie Scottish dancing or here as demonstrated beautifully

Yes, we certainly do it at our Scottish Dancing, though I flatly refuse to curtsy.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Nod and a wink, that's me.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Hi

Yes, a fact of life at times.

Especially in Public.

A personal view.

Charles is an arrogant arse, Princess Anne is not.

Prince Andrew is the worst of the lot.

So much difference between them.

Prince William is a lovely young man, opens doors for oldies and takes his place in the queue.

Anyone would be proud of him as a son.

Harry is a bit of a Jack the Lad, a younger brother.

He is nowhere near as likeable.

He is however independent.

He can be an arse at times.

He chose to go and put himself in danger and fight for us and would not be protected.

I cannot be critical of that.

I like Princess Anne, very hard working and down to earth.

She has brought her children up well.

Zara is a star, as down to earth as they come.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top