Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 02:47 PM

Golden Mashed Potatoes

Hi everyone, I was looking for a saucy recipe to go as a side dish with a small gammon joint I cooked for dinner last night as HWMO is not a lover of pork gravy, but with all due respect to him, I didn’t fancy having 2 gammon slices, asparagus, and plain or mashed potatoes without a gravy or a sauce, but I didn’t even have anything to make a sauce!

Luckily I came across this Golden Mashed Potato recipe. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any Spring Onions or Sour Cream, so I substituted the Spring Onions with a very finely chopped Red Onion and the Sour Cream with a cup of plain Yoghurt and just added a tablespoon of lemon juice to it. Problem solved.

(if you have dried milk, (Marvel) it would be 2/3rds milk powder, ¾ pint water and a teaspoon of lemon juice to replace the sour cream.).
Next time I make it, I will ensure I have the Spring Onions and Sour Cream to hand.

I hope you enjoy it, this dish was lovely and moist and didn’t need a gravy with the gammon at all.

I am showing two recipes on here for this dish, one an ordinary recipe with a photo and the other shows a video of the healthier low-fat version.

ORDINARY VERSION Serves 4-6, but can put in fridge and microwave next day.

4 x large potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
½ lb carrots peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
4 spring onions thinly sliced
¼ cup of butter.
½ cup sour cream
¾ teaspoon salt
Good pinch of pepper (thumb, index and middle finger)
4 tablespoons cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

STEP 1. In a saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Add the potato cubes and small chunks of carrots. Boil for about 10 minutes or until they are tender. Drain, Mash together, and put to one side.

STEP 2. In a frying pan, saute the onions in butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Add the sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix all together until blended.

STEP 3. Transfer to a greased baking dish. Spread it out and sprinkle with the cheeses.
Bake uncovered at 180/350C/160Fan/Gas 4 FOR 35-40 minutes or until nice and hot.

(use the fork test for heatness. Stick the prongs of a fork into the centre of the potato and count to 15. Put the fork into your mouth and if the prongs are hot, it’s fine! If it’s not, give it another 5-10 minutes.)

LOW-FAT VERSION

Please watch the Video….

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Mashed Potatoes.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	12489  
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 02:50 PM

Re: Golden Mashed Potatoes

[IMG]
[/IMG]

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top