Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Re: Price of Fuel Cheaper in Rest of Europe

I've no idea about wages as I've never worked there or thought to ask anyone. I do know that Spain's (I can only commment on them because it's the only real experience I have other European culture) health service is better than ours, they pay no road tax, public holidays are sacrosanct with employers being fined heavily for each and every employee that is required to work on a public holiday. All the festivals (including firework displays) are free of charge and done as a public service. There is a beautiful swimming pool in a landscaped area near the house and it is free to use; when I asked how much to get in, the lifeguard looked puzzled and then said 'is free' - my puzzled look got the response: is paid by taxes. Kind of sums it up for me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I've no idea about wages as I've never worked there or thought to ask anyone. I do know that Spain's (I can only commment on them because it's the only real experience I have other European culture) health service is better than ours, they pay no road tax, public holidays are sacrosanct with employers being fined heavily for each and every employee that is required to work on a public holiday. All the festivals (including firework displays) are free of charge and done as a public service. There is a beautiful swimming pool in a landscaped area near the house and it is free to use; when I asked how much to get in, the lifeguard looked puzzled and then said 'is free' - my puzzled look got the response: is paid by taxes. Kind of sums it up for me.
Is this the same Spain that is bankrupt and had bail out after bail out ? Prefer tax on petrol ect to that I think.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Each region is responsible for its own expenditure - Britain, with all its high taxation, didn't fare so well either. The point I was trying to make is that the Spaniards don't fleece their citizens at every turn and do try to ensure that there are fun, sociable occasions. I find it hard to defend Britain now.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Each region is responsible for its own expenditure - Britain, with all its high taxation, didn't fare so well either. The point I was trying to make is that the Spaniards don't fleece their citizens at every turn and do try to ensure that there are fun, sociable occasions. I find it hard to defend Britain now.
I think that may change, though, given the economic status of Spain. Actually, now petrol is not so cheap there - still cheaper than UK but not by much.

Ireland must hold the trophy for most fleecing of its residents, though...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

15-07-2013, 10:24 AM

It will be a shame if it does change, I really admired that aspect of their lives and it made me wish Britain was more like that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2013, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What are wages like compared to Europe ? I have probably naively assumed we are better paid ?

Average Gross annual Earnings in the business economy (full-time employees), 2008-2011

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2013, 08:58 AM

That's interesting looks like we are the only one's earning less as the years pass
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's interesting looks like we are the only one's earning less as the years pass
Unfortunately that is what happens when you go broke, remember that the decrease will have been caused by the devaluation of the pound against other European currencies.

As Harold explained:

If you have good leadership (something Britain has sadly lacked for decades) things will get better over the next decade as the economy becomes more competitive.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top