Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 10:34 AM

Re: Why are eco products so expensive ?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I believe that have just gone and dug up the last of my potatoes .
They look lovely but many have been eaten inside just not worth the bother of growing them .
We had potatoes a bit like that at the allotment last year. Not eaten on the inside but brown-looking spots throughout. They could mostly be eaten but they didn't look good.

This year, we grew them in plastic dustbins with holes drilled in the bottom. Half earth - half compost. The potatoes are in good condition and plentiful.

I might grow some at home like that next year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:31 PM

I think that you mean blacktail eggs I do t buy them they are too expensive .
But I do buy waitrose free range eggs .

Here is a comparison .
The three pale and watery eggs are Tescos ( also supposedly free range ) the nice firm orange one is from Waitrose .

I know what you mean about watery whites Muddy.
One thing to bear in mind though, is the older the egg the runnier the whites get.
If I've had eggs laying about for a while, I always test them in a jug of water before I crack them.
Fresh eggs sink straight to the bottom. Then the older they get they get 'gassy' and gradually upend, and the next stage is they float up off the bottom. Don't eat them then!

The only other time I know of when the whites are runny is if the egg has only just been layed and the white hasn't 'set' yet.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:32 PM

They look lovely but many have been eaten inside just not worth the bother of growing them .

Could be potato eelworm?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 06:48 PM

I looked up eel worm yuk but I am not sure it’s them I found one potato occupied and the bug had legs perhaps a wire worm ?
I supose the farmers does their fields with something that kills these bugs prior to planting otherwise it would be completely uneconomical . I I had to grow my own food I would be starving by now .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-10-2020, 10:31 PM

I looked up eel worm yuk but I am not sure it’s them I found one potato occupied and the bug had legs perhaps a wire worm ?
I supose the farmers does their fields with something that kills these bugs prior to planting otherwise it would be completely uneconomical . I I had to grow my own food I would be starving by now .

You're perhaps right about wireworms Muddy, although I don't think they've got legs?

This might be the answer otherwise:

https://gardening.which.co.uk/hc/en-...ot-on-potatoes
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 12:45 AM

I find organic vegetables do not keep as long. Good thing or bad thing?
I am only penny conscious. We bought some organic detergent just to try it out. Found it was not very efficient. Value brands only from now on.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top