Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 07:24 AM

Travel to UK and USA Unlikely Until End Of 2021

Australians are unlikely to fly to the United States or UK on Qantas for another year, with its chief executive outlining that this could "potentially" happen "by the end of 2021".

"For some of our big destination like the United States and the UK, it's going to need a vaccine given the high prevalence of the virus in both of those locations," Qantas Group boss Alan Joyce said at the company's AGM in Sydney on Friday.

"But we are getting more and more confident about the opportunities and the potential for a vaccine in helping getting those operations up by potentially by the end of 2021."

He said it was "going to take some time to recover international travel back".

Mr Joyce had previously said that he did not expect international flights, except for New Zealand, would resume before July 2021.

The company has been running some very limited international flights, largely to help the Federal Government with repatriating Australians stuck overseas during to COVID-19.

The airline flagged plans to prioritise Asian markets as speculation mounts about Australia forming COVID-19 "bubbles" with countries with low case numbers.

The Prime Minister, Scotty from Marketing, flagged last month that international arrivals from South Korea, Japan and countries in the Pacific could potentially avoid hotel quarantine.

"Both Qantas and Jetstar are keeping a close eye on new markets that might open up as a result of these bubbles — including places that weren't part of our pre-COVID network," Qantas chairman Richard Goyder said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...s-agm/12806048
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 04:00 PM

Re: Travel to UK and USA Unlikely Until End Of 2021

Let's be honest here Bruce; anyone travelling long-distance or internationally during a global pandemic for ANY reason unless it is desperately necessary has got to be at least one tube short of a four-pack.

This virus has caused infection numbers to be up and down more than a .......... er, more than a pair of kangaroos in mating season and there's no sign that this is going to change until we see something like a vaccine that works OR the virus naurally just ceases - by mutation or by something else.
So far a vaccine is more likely.
But until we actually see one which works over time, why would anybody put themselves at risk of catching something which - even if it doesn't kill you - is more than capable of killing?

I know people across the world are still flying here, there & nearly everyewhere.
I know people who stand under trees in thuderstorms too.
Sometimes holding objects with a metal bit in their hands pointing upwards.
Sooner or later the luck runs out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Let's

I know people across the world are still flying here, there & nearly everyewhere..
Australians are not flying anywhere, you need a permit to leave the country and many of the state borders are still shut so there is limited domestic travel.

The only international travel is by returning residents and numbers are limited, they also have to go into a fortnights quarantine at their own expense. No non resident has entered the country since March, the farmers are getting desperate for labour, they rely on backpackers.

The PM, Scotty from Marketing, wants all residents back by Christmas.

Even the NZ bubble is one way, no Australians are going to New Zealand yet.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:42 PM

While I wholly understand travel restrictions, I am surprised that the ban is expected to last until 2022. I will be honest, I have a vacation planned to Australia and New Zealand in 2022 that I planned that far down the road in hopes that the pandemic will have calmed by then. It would be a disappointment if that vacation has to be cancel, but I would comply without complaint.

I am not sure what the purpose of that Qantas announcement it would be except to lay the ground for petitioning the government for corporate financial support or to encourage travelers with pent up demand to go ahead and book flights in country. Such an announcement seems like it would force the value of the company down significantly.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top