Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 12:27 PM

Re: Scorch?

Originally Posted by May ->
Rained here most of yesterday and last night..oh it's good to see the green green grass again

Gosh May, you're lucky.

Has it cooled down now, or has it got hot again?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Nope,still nice and cool so far Mups.forecast doesn't say it will get hotter this week.

oops,just had a look,it's to be 23/24 on Thursday but still cloudy.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 01:17 PM

Nope,still nice and cool so far Mups.forecast doesn't say it will get hotter this week.

oops,just had a look,it's to be 23/24 on Thursday but still cloudy.
Lucky you mowed the lawn when you did May!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:05 PM

ooo,how did You know I mowed My Lawns Yesterday morning Rhian...You must be psychic...or a wee Welsh Witch
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:07 PM

ooo,how did You know I mowed My Lawns Yesterday morning Rhian...You must be psychic...or a wee Welsh Witch
It's your photo...It gave you away!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Don’t feed your lawn in this weather unless you are watering daily...all you are doing is pumping nitrogen into the grass which helps to green up the grass.

Applying extra fertilizer in the heat of summer can burn your lawn and create a flush of tender growth that will struggle in the hot summer weather...without water your grass will die, so it’s a waste of money and doing your lawn no good, the greening is temporary.

Grass is resilient come the rain and it will pop right back up
No worries Rehab. The feeding was done in the Spring before the hot weather arrived. I have noticed though that Sainsbury's have a whole display selling lawn feed, seed and treatments.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, it seems you are quite right Mr. Rehab. ('Morning petal).

This morning there was a bloke on telly talking about this very thing, and he said the 'life' of grass comes from under the ground.

He said it is useless putting sprinklers and such on grass, as it is only surface water, and it needs to penetrate at least 4" down under the top soil to do any good. A drenching is better, not a sprinkling.

Even then, because of this ongoing heatwave, the underground stems have gone into a 'shut down' and are now sleeping, but are still very much alive. (Like Solo said above).

So to help our grass survive, best let them do things the way nature has taught them.
Weird though isn't it how much difference rain water makes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-07-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
It's your photo...It gave you away!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Yes, it seems you are quite right Mr. Rehab. ('Morning petal).

This morning there was a bloke on telly talking about this very thing, and he said the 'life' of grass comes from under the ground.

He said it is useless putting sprinklers and such on grass, as it is only surface water, and it needs to penetrate at least 4" down under the top soil to do any good. A drenching is better, not a sprinkling.

Even then, because of this ongoing heatwave, the underground stems have gone into a 'shut down' and are now sleeping, but are still very much alive. (Like Solo said above).

So to help our grass survive, best let them do things the way nature has taught them.
My gardener to,d me that....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Anyone else had the sun scorching plants during this heatwsave?

I've had it badly burn one of my new 'Pinks' and it has scorched one of my Azaleas too.
Now I see it has burnt some bedding Verbena, along with some leaves on a young Peony too! Never had this happen before.

It's not because I am watering the leaves either, because I know that's asking for trouble.

Anyone else noticed any of theirs scorched this year?
The leaves on the trees around my garden are going brown, as are the bushes & plants, the grass is yellow, the only still all green plants are the ones around the pond, but the brambles are thriving & already have blackberries on them, far too early.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040590(1).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	6555  

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top