Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

13-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Grand National ?

The Grand National Steeplechase, another of our so called great institutions takes place tomorrow. I was wondering how many of us will watch the 'spectacle' of forty magnificent animals being put to the regulation whip, each carrying up to nearly twelve stones of mankind, unfold.

The Grand National course has over time come in for a lot of criticism. It has always been deliberately dangerous, despite the changes made over the years, it remains so.
You cannot have so many large fences, most of them hard and unyielding, laid out over such a long distance with up to forty horses competing and not expect the fatalities that happen most years.

It seems to me that it is not so much the take off area of a fence but the landing side that causes grief to these poor creatures.

Take Becher's Brook for example, it looks like so many of the others from the approach but the landing side is far lower so the horse must land or try to compensate for the resulting far steeper angle of descent and perhaps worse than that, there is also a ditch to contend with.

The huge fences are bad enough when met head on but look at the change of angle at the Canal turn, however fit the horse is the ninety degree switch is a totally unnatural movement. On top of that the final run-in is over a quarter of a mile long and up to recently the tired out contenders were unmercifully flogged to the finish.

Anyone who saw last years winner in so much distress and still thinks that is the acceptable face of the sport should hang their heads in shame.

The BBC presenters and commentators should at least be made to carry the equivalent jockey weight on their backs and be flogged round the course for their collective apathy to the plight of these creatures.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 06:05 PM

Re: Grand National ?

I won't be watching, forcing horses over high jumps by flogging is not for me...
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 06:08 PM

I find horse racing dull at the best of times and nothing to do with sport by any definition. But the Grand National is basically cruelty for the benefit of gambling which I have nothing to do with. Personally, I would like it stopped.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 07:31 PM

I hate the Grand National, they give those poor horses no thought at all ...... they are whipped, they are kicked and they are forced around the course, forced over high fences...... and too many horses are allowed in the race (?)
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 09:49 PM

Definitely won't be watching the Grand National-think its such a cruel race
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 11:45 PM

George, rather than call this appalling, seemingly acceptable, cruelty a spectacle, I would call this more of a debacle.

I'm sure some people enjoy betting on the horses and that is their right, but to be so cruel to these magnificent creatures beggars belief.

If we saw the ordinary man on the street leading a horse and whipping it, that man would be in custody. This is no different.

Have fair horse races if necessary yes, kick them, no, and the use of the whip should be outlawed.

When I lived in Hereford I went, grudgingly, for the first time to a horse race where two-year olds were racing. Right in front of me one of the horses stumbled and fell, and wasn't for getting up so the vet was called. They put a thin "curtain" sort of thing around it and I could see the silhouettes through it, and the vet shot it right there and then. That is one vision I can never forget. I fled crying my eyes out.

How dare people put animals through trials and tribulations for their entertainment. It's vile, abusive and certainly not sport.

Sorry, but I do feel strongly about this sort of thing.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 12:18 AM

I'm another Hater of this appalling race. Can't believe its still going. Every year there's a fatality!!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 01:16 AM

Agree with every one ban it
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 09:42 AM

It is mistakenly called the sport of Kings, when in fact it's the game of Polo.
However you look at it. There is a lot of money involved and it's not going to be banned any time soon.
Even the Queen, who is a horse lover, likes horse racing. It's also very big business and a favourite pass time for very wealthy owners, world wide.
The horses lead an exceptionally pampered life, they receive the best of food and care, with grooms who look after their every need. They even fly with them when the horses are transported from one country to another for race meetings and other horse event.
It is very unfortunate when one of these animals suffer injury or death as a result of a race and I'm sure that the owners and especially the grooms, who have a special relationship with these magnificent creatures will mourn their demise.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 11:37 AM

It's a revolting practice, high time it was stopped. I'd never dream of putting any of our horses through that.......or anything like it.

Sorry Mesco m but if they loved their horses then they'd not do this to them. It's all about Money.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top