Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 06:11 PM

writing letters on my laptop

Does anyone know of any package I can buy for just writing letters on my laptop with the option of using different fonts and maybe include smilie faces? I know you can buy Office software but that includes real office stuff which I won't use, like Office 360 etc.

I just literally want to write letters so I can print them off and send them too friends. Laptops don't come with Word on anymore.

Any info appreciated thanks.
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2015, 08:16 PM

Re: writing letters on my laptop

Hi Alicat, most computers come with basic writing application such as "Wordpad" , have a look it could be there somewhere.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 11:17 AM

One of the tried and tested free word processing applications is Openoffice which, after being revamped and renamed a few times over the years is now known as Apache Openoffice. You can open and edit any Microsoft Office document with it, too.

If you don't need anything that elaborate, Billclay's recommendation of using Wordpad is spot on. It comes with Windows and you'll find it under START -> Accessories -> Wordpad.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 11:35 AM

As has been said word pad is on most of not all laptops and works well for letter writing.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Get OpenOffice, or if you don't want the full package, AbiWord which is also free and similar to Word.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 12:38 PM

I discovered a free package of Office Online, accessible through G-Mail. In our computer classes our tutor has everyone registering a Google/Outlook email address, and showed us how to access the Office package.

Even I didn't know about it! It has Word, Excel and you can print off documents, save in the Cloud, and attach to emails.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 01:07 PM

Another fan of Open Office.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 01:14 PM

LibreOffice is written by the same mob who originally wrote OpenOffice. The latter got taken over by Oracle then Apache and has not kept up with LibreOffice.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

If you are familiar with OpenOffice then you will be familiar with LibreOffice they are similar but LibreOffice developers always seem a bit ahead of the OpenOffice mob.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I discovered a free package of Office Online, accessible through G-Mail. In our computer classes our tutor has everyone registering a Google/Outlook email address, and showed us how to access the Office package.

Even I didn't know about it! It has Word, Excel and you can print off documents, save in the Cloud, and attach to emails.
I think you are talking about Google Drive (used to be known as Google Docs) it is very good and very handy especially as you can get an app to access it on your phone and tablet.

You can also share documents from Drive with other people for example my seniors club committee have access to the membership list via their Drive account.

Has a lot of the features of a fairly good Word processor or spreadsheet.

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 02:00 PM

Yes, that's correct about sharing. Our pupils got very confused about that, but it was because of the way M our tutor was explaining it. Not very clearly, in their judgement! He repeats himself constantly so they have brain overload.

When I do MY course, I'll try and explain in a way they understand. Our pupils wanted to DO it, not listen about it, so it went in one ear and out the other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top