Join for free
Page 194 of 370 « First < 94 144 184 192 193 194 195 196 204 244 294 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 06:18 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Adwip, I enjoy the rest of the crew on this thread to welcome you. That is a nice regimen you have going there, and if it works for you, you will find plenty of encouragement around here.

Floydy, you have done two workouts since I last commented and I notice that you really piled on the iron the other day. Could that be the cause of your fatigue? I am finding that planning a light day between really long ones is paying off....

that is when I am not upside-down-across-an-exercise-ball...day two.

Yes indeed, OGF, as frightening as that image might be to the gentle forum folk, it did do the trick well enough that I did a light day without any twinges whatsoever. A sad two miles, though. Didn't want to risk it.

For those who might be interested, I did not make Boston Marathon qualifying time today. I somehow suspect that Bob didn't quite either.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the welcome back Floydy and I'll do my best not to overdo it....Although these days it's hard to break into a sweat.....

And does anybody want a spare application form for the 'Boston Marathon?' Perhaps next year.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 11:11 AM

It turned out to be quite a painful day after yesterday's five mile run. Sitting was very uncomfortable, and sitting through three hours of 'Mama Mia' had me shuffling in my seat, first on the left buttock, and then on to the right buttock.....
But at the risk of sounding like a wuss, I did enjoy the film, and Abba music never seems to age......More than can be said about me......

So it was against my better judgement that I turned out for my Friday five this morning....

With so little movement in my right hip I barely cleared the floor, and on occasions I was sliding along the floor instead of running. With the risk of falling over I made a concerted effort to lift my leg higher, and after a mile or two it became easier. It was either that, or the fact that I was no running on smooth tarmac with no boulders to avoid.....

By mile three, I was running smoothly with just a twinge of pain now and again, but just enough to stop my mind from wondering (as John Lennon poetically puts it) and as the miles stacked up, the stiffness diminished, and it ended up being a decent run... A day of rest tomorrow, and back in the saddle on Sunday.....Whoopeee! Can't wait.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, you have done two workouts since I last commented and I notice that you really piled on the iron the other day. Could that be the cause of your fatigue? I am finding that planning a light day between really long ones is paying off....
All exercise used energy, Suzie which is why we get tired and so we then need to rest. I think I should have had yesterday as a rest day to be honest though to let my body recover properly.
My fatigue is mainly caused by my working hours though. Nights really takes it out on you.

Bob - well done with today's run, under the circumstances. I too love Abba but watching those films would indeed have me shuffling off further than in my seat.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
All exercise used energy, Suzie which is why we get tired and so we then need to rest. I think I should have had yesterday as a rest day to be honest though to let my body recover properly.
My fatigue is mainly caused by my working hours though. Nights really takes it out on you.

Bob - well done with today's run, under the circumstances. I too love Abba but watching those films would indeed have me shuffling off further than in my seat.
I know what you mean Floydy.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:08 AM

After deciding that I’d had enough of pummelling my chest and legs this week, I thought a quick ‘build-up’ effort on the arms was in order, just to keep my form up to scratch. I didn’t envisage doing dead on 90 minutes at them resulting in some pretty effective results at the end of it all.
I ended up doing fourteen exercises and tried to mix things up so that biceps and triceps had at least some rest in between the thrashing.

Friday 31/8/18: Just arms
(All weights in kgs)

Tricep extensions (version 1):
25x30, 20x35 (triceps warm-ups)

Machine arm curls, both arms:
20x25, 20x30 (biceps warm-ups)

Lat pulldown, underarm, c/g:
15x40, 15x50, 15x60
*After each set I held the weight down for 5 seconds taking the strain.

DB concentration curl, alt.:
6x14, 6x14, 6x14
*No rest between sets; quick crossover.

Barbell curl, seated (with backrest):
8x30, 8x30, 8x30
*Held bar at shoulder for a few seconds before lowering on each set.

Single-arm low row, alt.:
8x80, 8x80, 8x80
*No rest between sets.

Tricep extensions (version 2):
10x40, 10x40, 10x40, 10x40, 10x40
*Without dropping the weight at all throughout the five sets but pushing down before recommencing each set, this was excrutiatingly painful; the lactic acid filling the back of my arms as if they were on fire.

E-Z preacher curl, c/g:
10x38, 10x38, 10x38
15x23, 15x23 high reps
*My favourite exercise of everything I do at the gym, I don’t know why. I think I just have god movement in my arms and the biceps have always been one of my best muscle groups for development. Nothing too strenuous today though, curtailing the weight at only 38kgs despite the temptation to go much heavier – still too many exercises left to carry out.

Tricep pulldowns:
10x30, 10x30, 10x30
*No rest between sets.

Single DB press (flat bench, hands interlocked under top inner end of DB, pushing up) “The Floydy Press”!:
30x50, 25x50, 20x50, 15x50, 10x50
*100 reps in total. Nice and steady pressing. A great exercise that works the chest, shoulders and delts as well as hardening the top of the outer tricep muscles very well.

Barbell forearm reverse curl:
10x15, 10x15, 10x15

Bicep cable curls, low pull, alt.:
10x12, 10x12, 10x12
*Never been too keen on cables of any shape or form. The grips just don’t seem to fit right and my elbows get in the way. No sweat, plenty of other work to be getting on with instead.

Tricep extensions (version 3):
33x40, 20x50, 15x60, 11x70
25x25 high reps
*Each set increasing in weight and performing as many reps until absolute failure.

Rope pull-ups:
20x10, 15x15, 10x20
*Not used the rope for a while. Pretty effective for the inner biceps especially.

Tricep pushdowns, v-bar:
50x15 high reps

Bicep stack curls:
32x10 high reps (to failure)

1hr. 30mins.

At the end of all of this my arms were not only looking fit to burst and massively pumped up, but heavy as hell too. Showering was not an easy task.
Rand Mrs. Floydysaurus and suggested a bite to eat. I satisfied my ravaging hunger by ordering a whopping 16oz rump steak with all the trimmings and a quadruple of real ales.

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-09-2018, 11:41 AM

It was never going to be a six mile run this morning as I turned out into a mild Autumn morning. I woke up about half an hour before I meant to, but realised that if I didn't climb out of bed it would be gone ten the next time I surfaced, so I grudgingly laced up my running shoes early, and at 6:30am thrust myself out onto the street....

A warm breeze gently wafted the higher branches of the trees lining the green as I jogged underneath. As usual these days, my first mile was fraught with stiffness and pain, but there was no way I wasn't going to take advantage of this beautiful morning by returning home early, so by the time I reached the junction, I took the eight mile route instead of the six.

Although the pain and stiffness had abated, I did find the last couple of miles a bit of a pull and was glad to see my drive....Rubbish time though.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Don't worry about the time, Bob. You made the run last even longer than planned and what's more, when you weren't even bothered about going out in the first place. Good work
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 04:38 PM

Back again after an unseemly absence - I've been reading your posts though. I'm quite chuffed I managed to get my creaky knees to the point of actually getting onto a rowing machine last week! It's great for gently stretching my thigh muscle, which has been really tight for at least a year now. I hope to do more this week, although I couldn't get on it today because it was so busy in the "little gym" and we only have the one.

My gym session there is now a regular 2 hours of non-stop workout, and I have the stomach crunch machine to the point I can do 150 crunches on it now. All told I probably do around 600 per session now, whereas I used to do 50 when I started the gym 6 months ago. It's very good for my stamina, which is what i needed to improve. Back there tomorrow all being well.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-09-2018, 11:49 AM

There were plenty of indicators this morning that Autumn is gradually edging out the balmy days of summer. 5:45am and it wasn't fully light, a threatening wall of cloud hung low on the horizon, although it's been threatening rain for the last two days, and still non has come.

Bright red berries hung precariously from sagging boughs, the Rowan, Hawthorne and Elderberry, ferns and nettles drooped across the path and Blackberries clung to thorny branches like clusters of precious jewels just out of reach of the would be pie maker. Leaves that once were striking green and firm now looked faded and curled, with many already adorning the forest floor providing extra cushioning for a passing runner, the long hot summer and lack of moisture causing an early departure from their host.

I was startled as a gaggle of geese, perhaps a dozen or more, flew low overhead, their constant chattering sounding more like a dozen squeaky wheels eventually came to rest at the far end of a field of stubble. Funny how they all go quiet once they've landed and quite unusual to see them this far from water.

As I reached the end of my five mile Autumn course I realised that going out for an early morning run Isn't always about keeping fit......

Page 194 of 370 « First < 94 144 184 192 193 194 195 196 204 244 294 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top