Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 04:32 PM

New laptop - what do you recommend?

I'm definitely buying a new laptop in the next couple of weeks. I'm probably going to buy one from PC World. I don't want an Apple or an IPod. I would like one with a 15-17 inch screen, a photo card slot in the side. It wont be one I will be carrying around, it will just be put on a desk. It must have wi-fi connection.

I really only want it for photos and music.

Has anyone got any advice on what make is best or anything I should be looking for as I haven't got a clue as I'm not technical minded.

Any advice greatly received thanks (but like I say, I don't want Apple or I Pod).
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Re: New laptop - what do you recommend?

If you won't be carrying it around - why do you want a laptop? Desktops will give you more bang for your buck and will be cheaper to repair (and upgrade too).

Also, why are you dismissing a Mac? They are much easier to use and don't suffer from PC viruses - that alone has been a godsend since I switched a lot less worry about my private files/photos or even credit card details being stolen so easily. Also if you're worried about cost, you'll probably find you need to upgrade your PC a lot sooner than your Mac - because they don't get 'bogged down' as much as PCs do over time. Sorry about the hard sell lol - but Macs really are a very good system these days, and shouldn't be ignored
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 07:25 PM

I use 3 pc at home.

Tower in study, handy for storage and extra large screen.

]Laptop, handy for working away from home watch dvd's listen to cd.

]Notebook, handy for internet and mails anywhere, hot spots in cafe etc.

All of which I bought via EBAY, I love my Dell Laptop DVD writer, 19 inch screen, HD the memory card readers etc. Cost around £800. It has special additional features.

But I love the desktop that holds my downloaded music and I have a cheap memory card reader (external cost about £20.00) Samsung N130 cost £174,
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Last week I bought an Acer Aspire 7741G Laptop which I plan for Photo's Music and making DVD's. I have just looked on the website(comet) and they are out of stock but it may be worth keeping an eye on the site in case they get more in.
£700 laptop for £450.
Like Azz says if you will not want to take it around with you then you will get more for your money with a tower unit.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
If you won't be carrying it around - why do you want a laptop? Desktops will give you more bang for your buck and will be cheaper to repair (and upgrade too).

Also, why are you dismissing a Mac? They are much easier to use and don't suffer from PC viruses - that alone has been a godsend since I switched a lot less worry about my private files/photos or even credit card details being stolen so easily. Also if you're worried about cost, you'll probably find you need to upgrade your PC a lot sooner than your Mac - because they don't get 'bogged down' as much as PCs do over time. Sorry about the hard sell lol - but Macs really are a very good system these days, and shouldn't be ignored
Thanks for your reply Azz, I can't have a desktop unless it's got wi-fi as I have a problem in our house with getting a signal, I can only get a signal downstairs so I have a small desk in the dining room and there's not alot of room. A PC would be too big, also not many of them have wifi.

Weve talked about a Mac or I Pod before Azz, my niece has a Mac, she's 21 and very technical minded and says they are very different to windows and takes alot of getting used to. I spent 6 years going to college learning how to use windows so I'm not going to throw away all my experience on something completely different as I don't find learning new stuff very easy these days. I want to stick with what I know but thanks anyway.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 01:54 PM

Allcat

Have you tried a different wi-fi hub, such as the BT Home Hub?

Seems a pity you are held to one area of your home. Your niece may have one you can try first?
Alicat
West Berkshire

22-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Manxman ->
I use 3 pc at home.

Tower in study, handy for storage and extra large screen.

]Laptop, handy for working away from home watch dvd's listen to cd.

]Notebook, handy for internet and mails anywhere, hot spots in cafe etc.

All of which I bought via EBAY, I love my Dell Laptop DVD writer, 19 inch screen, HD the memory card readers etc. Cost around £800. It has special additional features.

But I love the desktop that holds my downloaded music and I have a cheap memory card reader (external cost about £20.00) Samsung N130 cost £174,
I haven't really got room for a PC Manxman but I will have a look at them whilst I am in the store. Not all PC's have wifi connection whereas Laptops do. I am using a Dell notebook at the moment, it's a lovely little machine but only has a 10 inch screen and I'm fed up with the size of the screen now. I've only had Dell's, they are very reliable but slow.

I will look up that Dell laptop you've mentioned. Thanks for your reply.
Alicat
West Berkshire

22-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Last week I bought an Acer Aspire 7741G Laptop which I plan for Photo's Music and making DVD's. I have just looked on the website(comet) and they are out of stock but it may be worth keeping an eye on the site in case they get more in.
£700 laptop for £450.
Like Azz says if you will not want to take it around with you then you will get more for your money with a tower unit.

Thanks for your reply Antibrown, I will look up this Acer you have mentioned, I was thinking of getting an Acer.
Alicat
West Berkshire

22-10-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Manxman ->
Allcat

Have you tried a different wi-fi hub, such as the BT Home Hub?

Seems a pity you are held to one area of your home. Your niece may have one you can try first?
It's funny you saying that Manxman as my niece and her family have just gone over to BT and they were sent a BT Home Hub and it doesn't work, no lights come on, so BT are sending them another.

Were with Sky now but before we were with AOL and used a brilliant seperate router (can't remember what make it was now) and that didn't work upstairs. It's because of the shape of our house and the thickness of the walls. I'm quite happy using the Internet downstairs.

Thanks.
Manxman
Manchester, UK

22-10-2010, 02:40 PM

I know what you mean about homes with thick walls, I had the same problem, luckily I have amongst my friends some people that are good with these types of issue.

My friends re-wired my telephone line to put the master socket into the hall way, wired my wi-fi hub into the second output (normally concealed) then hid the hub on a wall high up. I get a signal strength of excellent all over now.

The main digital phone is now located in the living room on an extension. Funny enough the phone's that are also cordless seem to work better.

I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top