Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Re: New laptop - what do you recommend?

Originally Posted by Manxman ->
I know what you mean about homes with thick walls, I had the same problem, luckily I have amongst my friends some people that are good with these types of issue.

My friends re-wired my telephone line to put the master socket into the hall way, wired my wi-fi hub into the second output (normally concealed) then hid the hub on a wall high up. I get a signal strength of excellent all over now.

The main digital phone is now located in the living room on an extension. Funny enough the phone's that are also cordless seem to work better.

I hope this helps.
Our telephone line is already in our sitting room and our dining room which is all open plan, weve also got cordless phones.

Hubby is not very technical the same as me.

Thanks anyway
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 04:54 PM

After looking up laptops on the Internet all afternoon (I haven't done a thing all afternoon!!) I've decided I'll probably go for a Dell Inspiron 17R Laptop, and I'll order it from Dell.

Thanks for all your help.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2010, 06:20 PM

I like the Dell laptops Alicat - good choice
Alicat
West Berkshire

28-10-2010, 05:28 PM

Well I'm still in the quest of buying a new laptop. I was going for the Dell one but I can't try the keyboard beforehand and in a review it said the keyboard on that model was squashed and not easy to use.

I went to PC World the other afternoon and tried alot of the different laptop keyboards and I'm glad I did as some of the keyboards I didn't like at all. I didn't get one but I liked the Acer and Toshiba ones. I'm thinking of Toshiba ones now.

Has anyone on this Forum got a Toshiba laptop and what do they think of it? Thanks.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Haven't got a Toshiba, but do have an Acer - which is fairly old now. It was pretty good for the money

The good thing about Dell is their customer service is excellent - I sent back about 3 different monitors as I couldn't decide which one I liked. They were excellent and didn't charge me for collection or anything. Definitely recommend them Alicat.
Alicat
West Berkshire

28-10-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Haven't got a Toshiba, but do have an Acer - which is fairly old now. It was pretty good for the money

The good thing about Dell is their customer service is excellent - I sent back about 3 different monitors as I couldn't decide which one I liked. They were excellent and didn't charge me for collection or anything. Definitely recommend them Alicat.
Trouble is Azz if I don't like the keyboard will they refund me the money? That model I'm after they don't sell in any shops where I can go and try beforehand whereas the Toshiba one I'm thinking of getting I have actually physically tried and love the keyboard. It's a difficult one isnt it I've always had Dell and nothing else and never had any problem with them, they are very reliable but what's the good if I don't get on with the keyboard.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2010, 08:09 PM

I live in a tiny 13' x 13' studio apartment and have 3 computers. I own a powerful desktop that I custom built over 3 years ago with two 500 gig hard drives a killer sound card and a great video card. It's connected through my stereo to a 37" Hi-def 1080P Toshiba LCD monitor. The Dual Core Intel processor is very fast. I have 6 gig of high speed RAM and use Windows 7 for my operating software.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 15" laptap with good power & speed that runs everything nicely except applications that require a dedicted graphics card.

Finally I use an Acer Aspire One for my bathroom. It uses Windows xp and has no problems.

All my computers are connected through a wi-fi local area network in my apartment. there are also two printers on that network and everything is wireless and works fine.

I agree with Azz that you might first consider a deaktop which can have a very small footprint these days, a dedicted graffics card and good sound quality for movies and music.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Alicat, I bought a new wireless keyboard for use with my laptop but I find that the keyboard on the Acer Aspire 7741G is very good.

I have large fingers which catch the keys next to the one I am using but I do not have that problem with the Laptop, they are very big keys for a laptop.

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...13/ACER-AS7741

Go here and click on the image to zoom in.
Alicat
West Berkshire

29-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for all your replies and yours Antibrown and bobmeikle.

Just to say that I've bought my laptop now, it's a Toshiba one, this one:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...ibaShop/false/

I got it from Currys/PC World today, I paid them and extra £20 and they installed Norton Internet Security for me. My husband is going to set it up to Wireless tomorrow, heaven forbid!!! If you don't hear anymore from me for a while you'll know weve cocked it up.
Alicat
West Berkshire

31-10-2010, 12:32 AM

Just to say I'm very pleased with my new laptop, the screen is so much bigger than my 10 inch notebook, I don't know how I managed with the tiny screen for so long. This 15.6 inch screen is perfect for me.

Thanks for all of your help.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top