Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:45 PM

Re: Heating Controls.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Have you tried putting the c/heating on and the hot water on at the same time? On a three-way valve this will put it to the mid position so that the heating and hot water are both fed at the same time. Make sure the t/stat for the heating is cranked up to full for testing purposes.

If the heating still doesn't come on, move the valve to mid-position manually and lock it off at the same time as knocking off the c/heating at the timer. In this position, the c/heating will (should) heat up using the hot-water part of the timer.
Thanks Judd I'll get back to you again,the water's been on, up to temp now so will try this tomorrow.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:02 PM

If I remember correctly, on the back of the clock, there is a small switch with a 'P' and a 'G' on it. You need to set it to 'P' - Programmed or Pumped. The 'G' is for Gravity fed systems.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
If I remember correctly, on the back of the clock, there is a small switch with a 'P' and a 'G' on it. You need to set it to 'P' - Programmed or Pumped. The 'G' is for Gravity fed systems.
I'll double check,but I'm sure I had it set to pumped.
Before that,I turned the room stat up,put the heating on,nothing,left that as was,turned the water on,the valved moved over to water and heating and the boiler fired.Turned heating off and the valve moves onto water,its just not calling for central heating on its own.I'd say there's a quirk in the wiring that maybe some one with more knowledge need's to look at.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 05:24 PM

Did you manage to try what I suggested and put both H/W and C/H on at the same time? Doing that would put the valve in middle position and thus feed both H/W & C/H.
caricature
Devon,England.

15-06-2020, 05:35 PM

Did you manage to try what I suggested and put both H/W and C/H on at the same time? Doing that would put the valve in middle position and thus feed both H/W & C/H.
Yes I did and it works.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Next thing to do is to lock the valve in the mid position, turn the heating off at the timer and turn on the hot water. In the mid-position, turning on the hot water will also put the central heating on.
caricature
Devon,England.

16-06-2020, 08:39 AM

Next thing to do is to lock the valve in the mid position, turn the heating off at the timer and turn on the hot water. In the mid-position, turning on the hot water will also put the central heating on.
Thanks Judd,I can't lock it off,its a old clockwork one been there since 87.The hot water never came on yesterday so I've called the local gas fitters/installers/plumbers I deal with who will come and look.

Once again thank you.
caricature
Devon,England.

22-06-2020, 01:45 PM

So the guy came and took the head off the three point valve very stiff to move manually,water back working and a new valve on order.£260 for part and fitting,partial drain down,refill,not bad I thought.

The three point had been there for 33 yrs
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

22-06-2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
So the guy came and took the head off the three point valve very stiff to move manually,water back working and a new valve on order.£260 for part and fitting,partial drain down,refill,not bad I thought.

The three point had been there for 33 yrs
It did well to last that long. Personally, I've never like the Y-Plan system, always better to have separate valves for hot water and central heating.

You don't suspect that there was anything wrong with your old time-clock and it was a faulty valve all along?
caricature
Devon,England.

22-06-2020, 07:17 PM

It did well to last that long. Personally, I've never like the Y-Plan system, always better to have separate valves for hot water and central heating.

You don't suspect that there was anything wrong with your old time-clock and it was a faulty valve all along?
I think its a combination of both,the programmer timer would no longer tick itself around,that was the same age,so new all around won't hurt.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top