Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Racist & Religious?

I hope this question isn’t going to have people’s heads spinning but can someone please explain how extreme religious folks can also be racists? Don’t these two clash? If you believe in the 10 commandments then doesn’t being racist not fit in? Or does it?
What am I missing?

Can I ask such a question without causing too much turmoil?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 12:15 PM

Re: Racist & Religious?

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I hope this question isn’t going to have people’s heads spinning but can someone please explain how extreme religious folks can also be racists? Don’t these two clash? If you believe in the 10 commandments then doesn’t being racist not fit in? Or does it?
What am I missing?

Good question - really. It's much more prevalent in Low Church Christians (LCC) than common or garden Christians.

To start with it's not addressed in any way in the Decalogue (ten commandments) or in the Torah or Haftorah and in fact is specifically prohibited (Leviticus 19:34).

HOWEVER - (there's always an always) in the KJV and indeed all versions genesis 9 describes how Ham, one of Noah's sons, pissed his dad off when he ignored Leviticus 18:7 when Noah was drunk and had thrown his clothes off before passing out.

As a result Noah cursed Ham and kicked him out of town with the mark of the curse on him, travelled South, and bred with animals and produced black offspring.

There's a bit of a twist here, in Hebrew "Ham" means amongst other things dark or burned so that's been a source of debate, was Ham named Ham because he was dark skinned or was he in some way darkened as a result of his dad putting the mockers on him?

Anyhoo that's the biblical background why the LCC believe that the "Children of Ham" are to be treated as Untermenschen. There's quite a bit more that justifies enslaving Blacks that no doubt was used to rationalize the slave trade and slavery in general. Bear in mind that a few hundred years ago the Bible had a much greater importance in day to day life. The closest that people view the Bible today can only be found in such congregations as The Brethren.

Me? I started as a Jew. Very soon I became an Atheist, then a Hard Atheist and then a born again Pastafarian in which I find most comfort not to mention most sense!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 02:05 PM

It just goes to show how much I know my religion. For some reason I thought ‘thou shall not judge others’ to be one but I guess I was wrong. My main issue is that hate is judgment to the extreme and being racist is extreme hate.

I’ve always known there were racist but since this George Floyd controversy, they seem to have come out of the woodwork to share their opinions.

I also understand that judging them isn’t fair either so find all this judging and hate frustrating yet can’t seems to escape it.

I’m not sure how to not let it bother me because it really does yet I know racism has been alive and well since man existed.

Perhaps discussing it isn’t a wise choice either since then both sides may get offended.
I just don’t get it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 02:48 PM

Trust me, you won't offend me!

I've been insulted by professionals, come to think of it people from just about all professions!

But just a couple of points. Racism doesn't equate to hate. Racism is rejecting that all races are equal one to another.

No individual race comprises of absolute Übermensch, no race populated by absolute Üontermensch - but in a given environment some races are better suited to than others.

Being judgemental? Why not? There is nothing wrong with being judgemental! Why not make decisions about people based on your experience and personal values?

In the (mostly NT) judgement is a caution rather than a prohibition. Luke 6:37 is a good example the basis of which is to avoid the iron rule 'cos it'll make s bad situation worse.

As for being racist, the word has become so distorted and abused as to become a joke but a joke in bad taste. Being racist or discriminating is not only human nature, it predated humanity in that it is a factor in breeding true in evolutionary terms and we are pre-wired to look for what we see as the best partner to mate with.

It means that we avoid people of a primitive appearance or in some other way not the sharpest knife in the drawer in which we sit. The bottom line is that all races are not equal. Pretending otherwise silly and guaranteed to result in tears.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

17-06-2020, 03:09 PM

Perhaps not all races are equal but don’t all lives matter?
Don’t we all deserve proper treatment?
It’s like the worlds gone completely mad.
While modern technology is wonderful, it’s given us the ability to judge even more while getting up, close and personal with others? Maybe too close and personal.

Look at the riots and gang looting in the United States. It’s like there’s no law or order any more. Was it always this bad or is it because now more people are taking notice of things due to people taking videos and live streaming them?

I’m not actually expecting answers. I just hate seeing our world so divided. It probably was already but I didn’t notice.

Somehow I wish I could un - see the things I’ve seen but that’s not going to happen.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 03:13 PM

What am I missing?

Because extremist right wing sympathisers have infiltrated religions in order to spread their hate messages.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

17-06-2020, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Because extremist right wing sympathisers have infiltrated religions in order to spread their hate messages.
Nonsense.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

17-06-2020, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You’d have to dumb it down a whole lot for me to understand any of that. I don’t normally watch the news and started due to the corona virus so I’m not the least bit into politics and certainly don’t get ring wing , left wing.

I don’t understand the rioting and looting since that seems to defeat the purpose of wanting to be treated equal but I don’t understand the breakdown of humanity itself. This affects us all. We may all be different races, ethnicities and cultures but we are only one species and this hurts us all.

Religion perhaps should have been kept out of it as it’s really a separate topic . The reason why I added it was that there are people whom I’ve known for a 2 or 3 years who are religious and I have great respect and admiration for them. Since the George Floyd murder , I’ve noticed their opinions on the subject and have been really surprised. Others too which I admired have suddenly shown this racist side of them and I have a difficult time trying to not judge them for it.

The obvious answer is to just avoid such threads but then I feel like an uncaring soul. Then again I don’t watch news and such because it stresses me out too much. If there’s nothing I can do to help the matter then why even respond at all. Or is that ultra selfish?

In conclusion I find all this fighting each other horrible and find it difficult knowing how to respond to everything that’s going on.
That’s probably I lot of nothing but I wanted to express how I felt right now during this pandemic and insanity.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 05:46 PM

Hi

Religious hatred is common.

It is also based on myths.

Not all Muslims are bad, some of them are our best defence against the hardline Sunnis.

Not all Christians are good, the Born Again idiots are the ones who burn down Family Planning and Abortion Clinics.

Look at the CAR, Christians are burning Muslims alive in Trenches there.

The World is a mad place.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 06:37 PM

You’d have to dumb it down a whole lot for me to understand any of that. I don’t normally watch the news and started due to the corona virus so I’m not the least bit into politics and certainly don’t get ring wing , left wing.

I don’t understand the rioting and looting since that seems to defeat the purpose of wanting to be treated equal but I don’t understand the breakdown of humanity itself. This affects us all. We may all be different races, ethnicities and cultures but we are only one species and this hurts us all.

Religion perhaps should have been kept out of it as it’s really a separate topic . The reason why I added it was that there are people whom I’ve known for a 2 or 3 years who are religious and I have great respect and admiration for them. Since the George Floyd murder , I’ve noticed their opinions on the subject and have been really surprised. Others too which I admired have suddenly shown this racist side of them and I have a difficult time trying to not judge them for it.

The obvious answer is to just avoid such threads but then I feel like an uncaring soul. Then again I don’t watch news and such because it stresses me out too much. If there’s nothing I can do to help the matter then why even respond at all. Or is that ultra selfish?

In conclusion I find all this fighting each other horrible and find it difficult knowing how to respond to everything that’s going on.
That’s probably I lot of nothing but I wanted to express how I felt right now during this pandemic and insanity.
There have been various infiltration methods employed by extremist groups. Religion is a very effective and receptive platform to sway opinion. There are militant anti-abortion movements and anti LGBT activism which is sitting with the apparent backing of faith groups even though it has nothing to do with faith.

A good visual example of political manipulation cynically exploiting religion would be Britain First representatives carrying white crosses as their perverted anti-Islam campaign which is at the root of it fundamentally racist. Saying they are doing "Christian patrols" is nothing to do with real religion. They were condemned for doing so by the Church of England :

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...wolverhampton/

But most of such infiltration is covert and harder for some to detect. There is a gradual introduction of ring wing political commentary into supposedly " Christian" publications such as lifesite news. This is a radical anti abortion publication yet they seem to have strong opinions on the riots which have nothing at all to do with their original raison d'etre. However, they suck in and politicise Christian do-gooders via the anti abortion stance. The publication also seems to be anti LGBT, anti Vax and generally extremely far right :

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ar...ake-down-trump

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top