Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 10:28 AM

Rocking Bathroom Toilet

In my bathroom, a toilet stands, on the floor, next to the shower base.
The screws, through the toilet base, no longer stay tight and the toilet rocks which means the sealant and the wall tiles are often a mess.
I think that the problem must be that the floor has perished somewhat.
If so, I think that the toilet will have to be removed, the floor tiles taken out, and a meter square of wooden floor cut out and replaced.

Question is, is it worth doing it myself? Or should I find a plumber (or carpenter?)
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Re: Rocking Bathroom Toilet

I don't know which is best other than to say that my last two toilets weren't screwed down at all they were glued down to the tiles with a silicon glue. I thought it was destined to become unstuck but it didn't even after "heavy"use.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 10:38 AM

Best done yourself in my opinion, the labour cost could be spent restoring the finish, after the repair has been done.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:04 AM

I see that the floor tiles were cut around the base of the toilet.
It look as if the toilet is sitting on a large amount of silicone type stuff which is inside the cut out above.

Reading on line, there is a suggestion that it's best to tile the floor first and then install the toilet on top of the floor tiles.
Apparently, that cuts off the entry of damp, is more soild, and looks better.

This toilet has the feed pipe coming in from the tiled wall behind it.
The Toilet waste goes out through the wall behind the toilet.

i.e. nothing in or out going downwards.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Reading on line, there is a suggestion that it's best to tile the floor first and then install the toilet on top of the floor tiles.
Apparently, that cuts off the entry of damp, is more soild, and looks better.
That's how mine is - the three rooms, toilet, bathroom and laundry were tiled completely except for the floor drains, shower and toilet outlet before anything was fitted.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:40 AM

It's usually wiser to lay the floor surface and standing the pan and sink pedestal on top. This can create problems though if the floor isn't solid enough since tiles can crack.

Without seeing it, it's hard to be sure about the state of your floor and whether this can be repaired enough without the need for a replacement section - the main priority seems to be to make the screw points sound.

How much play there is in terms of the feed and soil pipes may also have a bearing on the way forward - raising the pan around 10mm so it sits on top of tiles might not be quite so simple as one might hope.

If you have the ability, then it's worth removing the pan as a first line of enquiry.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:52 AM

The toilets I fitted myself, I did by mixing up a load of cement and bedding the pan level onto that. It was enough cement to mould itself into the shape of the underside of the pan. They never wobbled or shifted.

Run a bead of silicon around when the cement is dry if worried about water seeping underneath. This would depend on the floor being in good condition first.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The toilets I fitted myself, I did by mixing up a load of cement and bedding the pan level onto that. It was enough cement to mould itself into the shape of the underside of the pan. They never wobbled or shifted.

Run a bead of silicon around when the cement is dry if worried about water seeping underneath. This would depend on the floor being in good condition first.
This is also a sound way of doing it. The main difficulty is to find a secure screw point. If the screws go into the floor, then this might be a challenge- but might be repairable if you can lift a piece of flooring and fix some bits of timber under the screw points.

If the pan screws are horizontal, then there are nylon L brackets easily available, or indeed just screwing a couple of timber battens in the right place would do it.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

06-07-2020, 12:17 PM

Wow!

What great advice, everybody!

I've gone from very apprehensive to, maybe, a bit overconfident, reading these tips.

Can't wait to give it a go, probably within the week!

Thanks All!

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:28 PM

You will have to bear in mind that if you change the level at which the pan sits then you may also have to adjust the pipework to suit. Hopefully you have flexible pipe connections but if it's an older installation then probably not...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top