Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 07:22 PM

Re: Advise On Fuse Amperage... Please, Please.

All very nice, but it's a lighting circuit that seems to have a fault.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have known even for a ceiling light failing causing a trip switch to operate. Art there is a very useful gadget which is easy to check power sockets.

when you plug it into a socket and switch on if all 3 light come on (as in photo) your socket wiring is ok.

for £15 a great way of checking without calling in an electrician. If one of the lights doesn't come on the checkplug tells you via the front label prints.

How much would it cost to get an electrician in to check all your socket outlets?????

I can highly recommend you get one, then you can tell an electrician exactly what is wrong and sound so knowledgeable

link to newer version than mine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martindale-...s%2C154&sr=8-2

That would go down well.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
If the fuse should trip again, I suggest that you have an electrician look at it. It is entirely possible that the fan is the culprit. It may have an intermittent short.

Thank You, Bakerman.
The fan l have now is relatively new, so on this occasion, it wasn’t due to that. When the lights came on, l could see one of the bulbs had ‘gone’.
It will be nice to go to the bathroom tonight and not fumble about for the toothbrush and toothpaste!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have known even for a ceiling light failing causing a trip switch to operate. Art there is a very useful gadget which is easy to check power sockets.

when you plug it into a socket and switch on if all 3 light come on (as in photo) your socket wiring is ok.

for £15 a great way of checking without calling in an electrician. If one of the lights doesn't come on the checkplug tells you via the front label prints.

How much would it cost to get an electrician in to check all your socket outlets?????

I can highly recommend you get one, then you can tell an electrician exactly what is wrong and sound so knowledgeable

link to newer version than mine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martindale-...s%2C154&sr=8-2
Longy, That looks like an impressive piece of kit.... (Me trying to sound like a tradesman!)
Thank You, uI will have a lookout for one.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-07-2020, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Yes 'Realspeed' is correct, every home should have one

There's lots of places sell them, if you have a Screwfix near you they will have them.

So easy to use and tells you so much and as mentioned if you do find a socket that is incorrectly wired you can tell the electrician and (s)he will be well impressed
Losos, Yes, l do have a Screwfix near me.
Must get my mask on and go and have a look.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 08:40 PM

The wide switch in your first photo is a fan isolation switch to turn the extractor fan off for maintenance purposes.

The socket tester mentioned in one of the posts can't be relied on for accurate testing. All that they can tell you is that the socket is connected properly, they can't tell you if the earth is adequate. I use one which has an audio setting. I only use it to confirm that a socket has been turned off.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-07-2020, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
All very nice, but it's a lighting circuit that seems to have a fault.
Dexterous, So not just a faulty bulb? It’s a circular light fitting that takes five bulbs.

Anyway, if you need your house re-wiring. I’m your man!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank You, Bakerman.
The fan l have now is relatively new, so on this occasion, it wasn’t due to that. When the lights came on, l could see one of the bulbs had ‘gone’.
It will be nice to go to the bathroom tonight and not fumble about for the toothbrush and toothpaste!
Nuisance tripping. Sometimes when a lightbulb pops it can take out the fuse and the circuit breaker. Nothing to worry about.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-07-2020, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The wide switch in your first photo is a fan isolation switch to turn the extractor fan off for maintenance purposes.

The socket tester mentioned in one of the posts can't be relied on for accurate testing. All that they can tell you is that the socket is connected properly, they can't tell you if the earth is adequate. I use one which has an audio setting. I only use it to confirm that a socket has been turned off.
Judd, Thank You for the information.
I am so glad l’ve got sorted.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Dexterous, So not just a faulty bulb? It’s a circular light fitting that takes five bulbs.
For what it's worth, the fittings don't usually fail frequently - not like they used to with filament lamps.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top