Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 11:25 AM

Use By Dates - Rant !

I buy a couple, or three, ready made meals, each week, and put them in the freezer.

The instructions tell me to defrost them, in the fridge, prior to use.

Sounds OK to me, but I've had to rescue these packages, from the dust bin, several times, recently, because one or others, of my daughters , will do a sneaky review of all the use by dates each time they visit and, when they spot these defrosting packs, in the Fridge, the BIN THEM.

They also checked my bottles of beer.

And my Wine

And my special High proof Pusser's Brandy.

Back in the day, when we didn't have all this molly coddling, my mother would keep stuff in the freezer for years!

Surely these dates are only ADVICE!
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 12:34 PM

Re: Use By Dates - Rant !

If it's milk and it's lumpy chuck it.
Anything else, if it's got fur on it chuck it
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Don't worry my pillows have use by date on them too whereas food only has a "best before" date.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I buy a couple, or three, ready made meals, each week, and put them in the freezer.

The instructions tell me to defrost them, in the fridge, prior to use.

Sounds OK to me, but I've had to rescue these packages, from the dust bin, several times, recently, because one or others, of my daughters , will do a sneaky review of all the use by dates each time they visit and, when they spot these defrosting packs, in the Fridge, the BIN THEM.

They also checked my bottles of beer.

And my Wine

And my special High proof Pusser's Brandy.

Back in the day, when we didn't have all this molly coddling, my mother would keep stuff in the freezer for years!

Surely these dates are only ADVICE!
You ought not to be defrosting past the ”use by date “items . That’s probably why your daughters are binning them , for your safety .
The ones where it says best before are the ones for advice only .
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

21-07-2020, 01:42 PM

I always dispose of perishable goods if they are passed their sell by dates. I put them on the bird table.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Much of my food is either frozen from the supplier or I freeze it myself. Although it's recommended not to use foods after the 'Use by' date or the other one, the 'Best before' date, I have often done so without any problems. Both do have different meanings though, the 'Use by' date is recommended by the manufacturer as there may be ingredients which will not keep. The 'Best before' date is advisory I believe. The food I have used after these dates is not weeks and weeks out of date but only the odd few days. If in the freezer I do follow instructions as to freezing, for how long it can be kept and any cooking instructions.

It's all very confusing I find though, websites below which may be of help:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/...-here-to-help/

https://www.highspeedtraining.co.uk/...ozen-food-for/

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/...freezing-food/

This one is probably more authoritative than the others as it's the
Food Standards Agency website:

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygie...d-use-by-dates
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 02:50 PM

My mum did that and never had any problems. How about when you put a couple in the fridge to defrost you remove the outer sleeve with the date on.
You'll still be able to see what it is.
Also if it were me then I'm afraid my daughter would be told in no uncertain terms to keep out of MY, fridge and mind her own bloody business.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
If it's milk and it's lumpy chuck it.
Anything else, if it's got fur on it chuck it
Yeah and if the cheese is sporting a fur coat, shave it
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
My mum did that and never had any problems. How about when you put a couple in the fridge to defrost you remove the outer sleeve with the date on.
You'll still be able to see what it is.
Also if it were me then I'm afraid my daughter would be told in no uncertain terms to keep out of MY, fridge and mind her own bloody business.
Excellent plan, Roxy!

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Yeah and if the cheese is sporting a fur coat, shave it
That fur coat is likely to contain penicillin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top