Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 03:37 PM

Re: Use By Dates - Rant !

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Much of my food is either frozen from the supplier or I freeze it myself. Although it's recommended not to use foods after the 'Use by' date or the other one, the 'Best before' date, I have often done so without any problems. Both do have different meanings though, the 'Use by' date is recommended by the manufacturer as there may be ingredients which will not keep. The 'Best before' date is advisory I believe. The food I have used after these dates is not weeks and weeks out of date but only the odd few days. If in the freezer I do follow instructions as to freezing, for how long it can be kept and any cooking instructions.

It's all very confusing I find though, websites below which may be of help:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/...-here-to-help/

https://www.highspeedtraining.co.uk/...ozen-food-for/

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/...freezing-food/

This one is probably more authoritative than the others as it's the
Food Standards Agency website:

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygie...d-use-by-dates

Thanks for that, the items in the links do say, if I'm reading it correctly, that time stands still for the frozen items and it's OK to use them if following the instructions for defrosting (in the fridge).

It's all a bit like Corvid - very difficult to get a definitive answer.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

21-07-2020, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
That fur coat is likely to contain penicillin.
All the more reason for me to dispose of it, I am allergic to that drug.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 08:58 PM

Like others have said, there is a difference between 'Best before' and 'Use by.'
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Like others have said, there is a difference between 'Best before' and 'Use by.'
Don't forget 'Sell By'.
My sell by date has passed....

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Don't forget 'Sell By'.
My sell by date has passed....

Hah. You and me both, gal.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

25-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hah. You and me both, gal.
And mine.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 02:36 PM

I usually write the date I stick stuff in the freezer on the packet using a sharpie pen. May be worth writing the date you put it in the freezer and the date you take it out of the freezer on the pack. Your daughter might not realise it's been frozen.

I'd only be worried if you take something out of the freezer and then leave it defrosting in the fridge for several days because that probably is a recipe for listeria etc.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I usually write the date I stick stuff in the freezer on the packet using a sharpie pen. May be worth writing the date you put it in the freezer and the date you take it out of the freezer on the pack. Your daughter might not realise it's been frozen.

I'd only be worried if you take something out of the freezer and then leave it defrosting in the fridge for several days because that probably is a recipe for listeria etc.
Thanks for that, Annie, but all she has to do is ask, or suggest that it might be out of date?

It's just a communication problem - Daughter to stupid old Codger!

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 06:32 PM

Since posting previously (post #6) I've found another useful website giving details of how to freeze and keep food. Hopefully this might be of some use and contains a lot of the usual foods anyone might wish to freeze. It is an American website but I doubt that makes any difference:

https://www.foodsafety.gov/food-safe...storage-charts
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
That fur coat is likely to contain penicillin.
I just found a site that tells you how to make your own penicillin from green mould. There are so many steps that it's little wonder it took so many years between Fleming's discovery and mass production.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top