Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 08:00 AM

Re: ADVANCE DIRECTIVE/ final wishes

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have sent an email to a social worker in my clinic. Perhaps she can come up with something ?
I am ok, but I just have "that feeling" that I may need it soon.

Good move Baker. If it's something that you feel you need to do well go ahead. It's your business entirely. Also your local hospital should have people you can talk to. Good luck with everything.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 09:02 AM

hugs from here too Bakerman. Bratti gives some good advice xxxxx
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:08 PM

Years ago, I had a horrible experience following intestional surgery. They did not give me enough pain killing meds and I was in excruciating pain but still not conscious enough to speak. Luckily, a lady friend was waiting for me to come out of surgery. She later told me that as soon as the elevator doors opened she could hear me loudly moaning in pain. From my side of the experience, all I knew was pain. Had no idea where I was or even who I was; intense pain was my whole world.

My lady friend raised hell with the nurses and demanded that the surgery anthethisist attend me immediately. he quickly arrived, or so I'm told, and he gave me a shot of morphine and put me on a morphine drip. He told my friend to push a button every 10 minutes to give more morphine. She later told me that soon I stopped groaning and started to snore.

Ever since then I have had a fear of being unconscious but being in intense pain.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:22 PM

I hope you sued. The anaesthetist was negligent. If you didn't sue then you should.

The thing with dying is that they say endorphins kick in, natures anaesthetist. It's when you are young and healthy enough to carry on living that it is painful. An old dying body is not in such agony.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:28 PM

I hope so Annie .
Bakerman I hope that you get this sorted soon for you own peace of mind .xx.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Years ago, I had a horrible experience following intestional surgery. They did not give me enough pain killing meds and I was in excruciating pain but still not conscious enough to speak. Luckily, a lady friend was waiting for me to come out of surgery. She later told me that as soon as the elevator doors opened she could hear me loudly moaning in pain. From my side of the experience, all I knew was pain. Had no idea where I was or even who I was; intense pain was my whole world.

My lady friend raised hell with the nurses and demanded that the surgery anthethisist attend me immediately. he quickly arrived, or so I'm told, and he gave me a shot of morphine and put me on a morphine drip. He told my friend to push a button every 10 minutes to give more morphine. She later told me that soon I stopped groaning and started to snore.

Ever since then I have had a fear of being unconscious but being in intense pain.

That's awful Bakerman.
No wonder you are frightened since. I should think I would be frightened too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I hope so Annie .
Dying is not as painful as clinging onto life Muddy. It's the healing process that hurts. I have to add that this is the strangest discussion I have ever had. But like most painful events it's the anticipation of death that is worse that the real thing.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Dying is not as painful as clinging onto life Muddy. It's the healing process that hurts. I have to add that this is the strangest discussion I have ever had. But like most painful events it's the anticipation of death that is worse that the real thing.
Annie, I apologize if I have upset you. That was not my intension.
I don't think I'm afraid of death itself, but rather the idea that I might end up being in a coma or otherwise unconscious for a lengthy time, yet still, somehow, being aware that I am in intense pain and not being able to communicate with a doctor.

With the current Covid virus crisis, I'd hate to be on a ventilator (unconscious and in pain ?) for God knows how long. With my own personal experience, I know for certain that it is very possible to be "unconscious" yet in agonizing pain. If that should ever happen to me again, I'd want to end it quickly. Thus, the desire to have an "Advance Directive" which would force the doctors to "end me" quickly.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 03:01 AM

Thinking of you Bakerman.
I hope you are ok. I’ve known you for 2 1/2 years now.
bakerman
Mexico

08-08-2020, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Thinking of you Bakerman.
I hope you are ok. I’ve known you for 2 1/2 years now.

Bratti, Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Has it really been 2 1/2 years ? My, how time flies.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top