Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 01:30 PM

Winged visitors to Fruitcake Folly.

On the back door.

On the garden gate outside the kitchen.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 01:33 PM

Re: Winged visitors to Fruitcake Folly.

The pigeon has rings, it could be a homing or racing pigeon. Does anyone near you have pigeons?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 01:51 PM

I don't know of any pigeon fanciers in the neighbourhood, but this one is a regular visitor to our garden.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 02:33 PM

Maybe it escaped to live with the wild ones, it's definitely a domestic & not a wild one.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
On the back door.

On the garden gate outside the kitchen.

Nice shots Fruitcake and it looks like a moth to me on your window. Racing (homer) pigeons, normally only have a ring on one of its legs. It could be an escapee
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

13-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Nice shots Fruitcake and it looks like a moth to me on your window. Racing (homer) pigeons, normally only have a ring on one of its legs. It could be an escapee

It's definitely some kind of moth, although I have no idea what sort. It was on the outside and the shot is taken from the inside through two layers of glass in order to capture the transparency of the wings.

I can't seem to find a macro setting on my camera so this was as close as I could get without the moth going out of focus.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 06:15 PM

Very nice photos...

and yes, my curiosity is piqued about the pigeon.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Great photos Fruitcake.
I thought the insect was a butterfly but close up the edges of the wings are feathery,it has butterfly shaped wings and the antennae are not feathered and it is obviously diurnal.
The pigeon has ' a lean and hungry look' - sort of greyhound/racehorse sleekness so my guess is that it is a racing pigeon taking a breather.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by toners ->
Great photos Fruitcake.
I thought the insect was a butterfly but close up the edges of the wings are feathery,it has butterfly shaped wings and the antennae are not feathered and it is obviously diurnal.
The pigeon has ' a lean and hungry look' - sort of greyhound/racehorse sleekness so my guess is that it is a racing pigeon taking a breather.
I can't see the colour but the moth is a Large Emerald- Geometric papiionaria- as the name suggests pretty close to a butterfly classification. Lucky photo FC!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:56 PM

Fruitcake, if anyone is ever concerned about finding a 'ringed' pigeon, you can always contact these people for advice:

https://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top