Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 12:41 AM

Re: Find My Past

I did a few weeks course on geneology and found it fascinating. I had wanted to find out something that had bugged me since about the age of 20.
I found out what I had wanted to know, and was very pleased about that.
I struggled to understand about the places to access information and how to buy credit points and stuff like that, so when the course ended, I realised I hadn't learned enough to continue tracing further back on my own.
I always intended to learn more, but never seem to have enough time to get back to my studies nowadays. Pity though, because I enjoyed it.
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 08:53 AM

I discovered my grandfathers WW1 records and am writing up his experiences and that of his Territorial Battalion that went to France in Feb 1917. You can download their war diaries for a small fee online from the National Archives. I also visited the local Library to read the local newspapers from the time and went to the Regimental museum that holds other records. It is interesting because I get the impression these men DID think the war worth fighting and had terrific comradeship and links with their local town. This contradicts many contemporary ideas about WW1.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 09:25 AM

Wow! I could never be bothered to find out about my past relatives, mainly because if I hadn't known them I would have no feelings about them. Having read all your stories I am now thinking that I may have been wrong because, whether they did right or wrong, it may offer some explanation of the life our ancestors led and what life was like in their time.
I have really enjoyed the stories , so far, and hope that more will be added to this thread.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I did a few weeks course on geneology and found it fascinating. I had wanted to find out something that had bugged me since about the age of 20.
I found out what I had wanted to know, and was very pleased about that.
I struggled to understand about the places to access information and how to buy credit points and stuff like that, so when the course ended, I realised I hadn't learned enough to continue tracing further back on my own.
I always intended to learn more, but never seem to have enough time to get back to my studies nowadays. Pity though, because I enjoyed it.
Mups, I may have mentioned in the past that Ancestry UK is accessible via my local libraries' computers: however, even though you need your library card and PIN, not from home. (Some services are available through your home computer, like learning courses etc.)

And it is totally free.

I started doing it that way then got out of the practice.

Have a word with yours.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 12:46 AM

Thanks for that info Jazzi. I have got a library card, but don;t anything about a pin? I'll have enquire next time I go in there.
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 09:02 AM

Ancestry is fine for the bare bones but after that its research and reading about what life was like, what their jobs involved etc. Otherwise wnat you get is a tree with no leaves. Also family memories need to be checked against evidence. I have yet to find evidence of some key myths in my own family, but have turned up buried secrets.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks for that info Jazzi. I have got a library card, but don;t anything about a pin? I'll have enquire next time I go in there.
The library gives you the PIN for your card, but I think you can ask for your own, they'll just change it for you. That's if how it works. Does for us here.

But do ask if they have Ancestry on their system.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Ta again Jazzi. Will enquire next time I go in there.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 04:03 PM

One of my sisters is right into this, and it came as no surprise to me to find my ancestors were up to their necks in the Jacobite risings. lol.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 04:09 PM

I have done two Family Trees, my Dad and my Father in Laws.

My Husband's Great Great Grandad was arrested out in Germany for stealing a Pig.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top