Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Re: Conning Your Fellow Members.

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I wasn't having a pop at you Art, please don't think that.
Your right too, a dishonest person could easily see it as a money making opportunity and some would have no hesitation in trying it on.
Oh Roxy, l knew you weren’t having a pop at me. I was just annoyed with myself that maybe, l hadn’t worded it as l meant.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
A go fund me page was started by a friends son who lives in Australia. His mum was staying with him from the UK, while there she had a stroke . He wrote on her face book page asking for financial help to pay for his dad to fly out and stay too , dad was self employed and would lose money and rent council tax etc had to be paid while out there for 6 weeks . We were happy to help , around 2.5 thousand was raised by friends and family . Eventually friend and hubby were able to fly home after 6 weeks .

They were so grateful for the help .

I wouldn't give onto just anybody though , but none of us missed the odd £10 or £20 .
How great for them, susan. I hope the lady is ok now and is well.

I was just thinking that on any forum or social site, not just here. That it might be possible to be taken in by someone who we thought we could trust.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-06-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It is certain that we can be conned by people on a forum, I have known people that have been!

On the other hand, I have known people who have financially helped people they care about, but haven't been conned.

I don't doubt that many of us have put money into charity tins, that never reached their destination, but if we cannot trust people it is a sad world...... yet these things happen everyday to somebody!
Twink, I suppose l was thinking, using my personal scenario. It could’ve been possible?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Twink, I suppose l was thinking, using my personal scenario. It could’ve been possible?
I am sure that has happened in a few occasions Art!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Ah, the old "tugging at the heartstrings" ploy .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 02:10 PM

I have donated to a couple of Justgiving pages .
One was for a young woman who had acid thrown at her face .
Her life was destroyed .
It can be as in the case of the cyclist and the phone woman it a way of righting a wrong .
I hope his costs are lower than the amount raised so that it isn't wasted on lawyers but goes (as is hoped )to Action Aid instead
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 02:12 PM

I happily dish out dosh to Grandkids and drop a few quid into anyones tin who're collecting for Charity,but I wouldn't hand over My bank details to a complete Stranger on here or anywhere else...I'm not heartless..but I'm not stupid either...so...don't ask and You won't be disappointed
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 02:41 PM

I don't donate myself, unless its a friends or family funeral, but I think you can con people on a forum very easily, a lot of people would donate.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Same with me, friends and family and that's it. I do feel sorry for people with incurable diseases of course but I would only give to people I know personally unless I was a multi-millionaire. If that was the case I would love to help children with funds they need to be treated abroad etc.

So many of these capitalists who are driven by money are quite happy to spend fortunes on luxury yachts and painting worth millions when there are children dying of cancer. That's greedy and selfish to me, although I suppose they can do what they like with their money.

Also, our government should do more to help people in distress who need life-saving operations instead of wasting billions on Brexit and private functions for Lord Mayor's luncheons and all the money squandered on the Royal Family.

So, no I'd never go for crowd-funding or anything like that because you don't really know if it's genuine. besides, I can't afford it myself anyway.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 03:24 PM

If I was moved enough to donate to a sob story I would do some research and even visit the person in question, I would never donate blindly.
And as for 'Children in Need' ....I've got a few of them myself and they come first...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top