Join for free
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Using the tube

I must be getting old. I actually had a young girl (early 20's) offer to help me on the tube last Friday.

After travelling by mini can from Victoria to Holloway Road and nearly having three accidents and witnessing another four - It was a bit like something out of the Bourne films! - I decided to take the tube back to Victoria.

I had heard about that Oyster Card but didn't have one. I don't live in London and hadn't used the tube for 20 years maybe more. I put my credit card in and paid £5.80 for the ticket! I thought a couple of quid would be fine!

I then got to the barrier. Put my ticket in, barrier opened I went through but no ticket at the other end! In horror I looked for my ticket and the girl then pointed to it and laughed kindly! The first time I felt old at 57!

On the tube I sent a text to the wife but was surprised it dint go through! Everyone else was playing with their phones! Derrrr! I was underground!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2015, 12:12 PM

Re: Using the tube

I havenot been on the Tube for years, presumably they have Wi Fi?
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
I must be getting old. I actually had a young girl (early 20's) offer to help me on the tube last Friday.

After travelling by mini can from Victoria to Holloway Road and nearly having three accidents and witnessing another four - It was a bit like something out of the Bourne films! - I decided to take the tube back to Victoria.

I had heard about that Oyster Card but didn't have one. I don't live in London and hadn't used the tube for 20 years maybe more. I put my credit card in and paid £5.80 for the ticket! I thought a couple of quid would be fine!

I then got to the barrier. Put my ticket in, barrier opened I went through but no ticket at the other end! In horror I looked for my ticket and the girl then pointed to it and laughed kindly! The first time I felt old at 57!

On the tube I sent a text to the wife but was surprised it dint go through! Everyone else was playing with their phones! Derrrr! I was underground!
That is the problem with those mini cans, they do roll about a lot. Never been on the tube and have zero intentions of starting. London is a great place to walk for those who can, otherwise a cab.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2015, 11:07 PM

I never use the tube, as soon as the toothpaste is gone it’s useless anyway.
They haven't got underground in Dublin, they have trams they call the Luas, they run on tracks in the middle of the street and you have to be careful you don't get knocked down, I've never been on one yet, I prefer to walk around town or use the bus when a bit of distance is involved.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2015, 11:40 PM

Ah you bring back happy memories of the smoke and the tube. Once did a training course that lasted 2 yrs in London and used the tube everyday. I was always amazed when I surfaced from deep down and wondered what part of London I was in!

I also had a season ticket for my train travel from somewhere in the home counties into London each day which looked very similar to the underground season ticket. There was usually such a mad crush on the tube that I could just flash my card and get through - I got caught once by an eagle eyed lady but after hundreds of swipes it worked quite well.

Oh happy days wandering around the smoke. In fact I was quite amazed at how quickly I acclimatized to getting about. Mind you I was back in my 30's then!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 07:52 AM

I was last in London in July and had to travel back to Victoria during the morning rush..
I was amazed to see the way people crushed themselves into trains. I had a brilliant view down one mans ear and saw a young lady who had obviously used a wax remover for facial hair as there were tiny pink remains hanging on her downey moustache. I was treated to a range of smells from the uptown colonge of one, to last nights curry on another and someone who clearly thought they might get a little more space if they refused to wash at all and smelled like a bog monster.

In the off peak moments I was treated to a man who swung from the handrails like some acrobat and young woman who wiped her nose on her sleeve and a begger..

I know there are strange people around but why did they all get on my tube?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 11:28 AM

The Tube is something I have never mastered or rather never wanted to. Being prone to claustrophobia I have always found other methods to get around rather than being undidgnifiably (my new word) squeezed and squashed.

It scares the heck out of me that people stand so close to the edge of the platform,then en mass surge forward.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top